Passing of Jerry Schad

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Passing of Jerry Schad

by Bob Burd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:41 am

Anyone who has done much hiking in San Diego County and especially in Anza-Borrego will have heard of Jerry Schad, the author of Afoot and Afield in San Diego County. I obtained a copy of this book almost two decades ago and fell in love with the San Diego area as a result. Outside the Sierra, it is my favorite place in the state to explore. Jerry died last week after a long struggle with cancer. Thank you Jerry, and rest in peace.

Life on the Crest

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
cbuelow, fedak, LionIndex, Princess Buttercup

no avatar
LionIndex

Re: Passing of Jerry Schad

by LionIndex » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:20 am

I've gone through three different editions of Afoot and Afield, and practically have the damn thing memorized. Unfortunately, if that's the hiking guide you grow up reading, it spoils you for ever reading another one because it's so well-written and clear, and has such a broad range of hikes in it that people of any experience level can find something challenging in it.

Denjem

by Denjem » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:21 pm

There is an okay article in this weeks SD Reader about him. There was a good article written in SD Unoin Trib. about a month ago also. Those will be big shoes to fill for the person who comes next. I have met Jerry and he was a very nice person.

RIP Jerry Schad

Denjem

by Denjem » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Yah that one

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:27 am

Jerry and I ran into each other on Twin Peaks in the San Gabriels during a mid week hike long ago. Later we ran together in a trail race in San Diego county and enjoyed conversations as fellow teachers, runners, and outdoor enthusiasts. Like Bob I found many good leads from his books. A decent guy worth genuine imitation.

lilbitmo

by lilbitmo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:42 am

Sad to hear that, :( someone had posted an article a month or so ago stating just how sick he really was on another board - his great writing style will be dearly missed. I have done most of my Santa Ana Mountain Hikes based on his "Afield and Afoot, in Orange County" from that book. Rip Jerry, hope you find some happy trails in the next place

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Sad indeed. I bought my first copy of Afoot and Afield not long after it came out in 1986. Still have the page worn, dog eared, cover faded copy all these years later, and I still turn to it for inspiration from time to time.

Jerry's book was the impetus for me to do a cross country trip from Toro Peak along the spine of the Santa Rosa mountains across Peak 6582 (now know a Lorenzen's Peak) to Rabbit Peak to Villager Peak and down to the desert floor. Three nights of virtually trailess cross country scrambling and bush wacking that ended in the largest storm of the season, trapping my truck up on Toro Peak for another six weeks until the snow drifts melted enough that the MCI snow cat could give me a ride up there and then plow out a road and drag me back down.

I'm sure Jerry's book inspired many such trips, grandiose and lesser so, for so many people. Thanks for sharing your journey's and your succinct writing style with us Jerry. You will be missed indeed.

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:27 am

He will be missed. RIP Jerry

From mtsanjacinto.info
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:48 pm

I was sorry to hear about Jerry Schad.
Here is a great article about him
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2011 ... ife-crest/

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... erminal-c/

Return to California