Please elves, define "News"

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:03 am

SoCalHiker wrote:As a scientist you should never cite only the work that fits your opinion.

Ejnar's retired now.

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:19 am

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
Aaron Johnson wrote:Hi Ejnar-

I did not move your thread, as I thought it was newsworthy. However, I can understand another staff member moving it once it wandered off into AGW land. :D I try not to move stuff around too much as it just confuses folks later on, including myself :lol: . Once a thread wanders way off course, I'm more likely to get rid of it, but I do that very rarely too.

Personally, I'm trying to give a wide latitude to thread subjects and where they are posted. I'm not sure about my cohorts. We're all in "summer mode," we've been vacationing, diverted and so forth so SP matters haven't been discussed as routinely as usual. I'll alert them to your query.

Gimme a break! It was bait for an argument. He was just trolling.

I report that a leading scientific journal (that actually used to be very pro-AGW) says the effect of CO2 on glacial retreat is just half of what has been assumed, and I'm trolling???

You play the victim terribly and unconvincingly.

You mentioned an article that agreed with your viewpoint, then went on to make unfounded claims and spurious arguments, and then failed to even ask a question (which you said you were going to do in your thread title. Moreover, you did all of this about a topic you know is controversial and over which you've gotten into countless pissing matches in the past. Your initial troll was decent, but this one is just sad.

Charles

by Charles » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 am

Interestingly you´r piece said that 50% was not due to human actions - so that´s 50% is - still looks sort of bad to me. I always thought the main argument about GW was that we are contributing to it.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Remember, the API and UPI are following this thread closely, and whoever wins this argument will probably affect the outcome of world events.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:
SoCalHiker wrote:As a scientist you should never cite only the work that fits your opinion.

Ejnar's retired now.

That hardly makes me a senile idiot, as you may have observed!

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:26 pm

charles wrote:Interestingly you´r piece said that 50% was not due to human actions - so that´s 50% is - still looks sort of bad to me. I always thought the main argument about GW was that we are contributing to it.

I thing it makes a great difference whether it is a 100%, or just 50%, (just think if your income fell by 50%!).

For one thing, it means that whatever we do, we cannot change the part that is not due to the greenhouse effect. So even if, at terrible cost, we were able to keep greenhouse gases completely constant, you would still have half the glacial retreat we see now.

Furthermore, it is the first time Nature publishes an article, where someone expressly states "It is a question of scientific honesty to admit that not all the effects of climate change are solely the result of increased greenhouse gases." That would have been unthinkable before the IPCC's less fortunate foray into Himalayan glaciology.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:36 pm

builttospill wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
Aaron Johnson wrote:Hi Ejnar-

I did not move your thread, as I thought it was newsworthy. However, I can understand another staff member moving it once it wandered off into AGW land. :D I try not to move stuff around too much as it just confuses folks later on, including myself :lol: . Once a thread wanders way off course, I'm more likely to get rid of it, but I do that very rarely too.

Personally, I'm trying to give a wide latitude to thread subjects and where they are posted. I'm not sure about my cohorts. We're all in "summer mode," we've been vacationing, diverted and so forth so SP matters haven't been discussed as routinely as usual. I'll alert them to your query.

Gimme a break! It was bait for an argument. He was just trolling.

I report that a leading scientific journal (that actually used to be very pro-AGW) says the effect of CO2 on glacial retreat is just half of what has been assumed, and I'm trolling???

You play the victim terribly and unconvincingly.

You mentioned an article that agreed with your viewpoint, then went on to make unfounded claims and spurious arguments, and then failed to even ask a question (which you said you were going to do in your thread title. Moreover, you did all of this about a topic you know is controversial and over which you've gotten into countless pissing matches in the past. Your initial troll was decent, but this one is just sad.

I mentioned a new article that described some revolutionary findings by a team of Swiss glaciologists. To my knowledge, there has not been anything of corresponding importance reported from the IPCC these days, while it according to Nature (same paper) currently is having its "credibility under scrutiny" after they "wrongly stated that most Himalayan glaciers could disappear by the 2035."

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:For one thing, it means that whatever we do, we cannot change the part that is not due to the greenhouse effect. So even if, at terrible cost, we were able to keep greenhouse gases completely constant, you would still have half the glacial retreat we see now.

That's not completely true- we could likely develop some sort of technology or process to go the other direction. If we can warm the earth, then there must be things we can do to cool it- at an even more terrible cost. Whether we should or not is another item.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:46 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
SoCalHiker wrote:I understand. This research is very interesting, but you have to agree that there are ample of other publications (also in reputable journals) that come to another conclusion. As a scientist you should never cite only the work that fits your opinion.

Someone should tell that to the IPCC or those clowns who got their e-mails hacked!!! :lol:

Exactly, why should he demand that from me, when he wouldn't dream of asking it from pro-AGW'ers?

Think of the consequences, should a scientist never be able to state something, without meticulously citing all that are of the opposite opinion? Let's assume somebody reports new, very good evidence that the biggest earthquake in history will soon be happening along the San Andreas fault. Should (s)he be forced to quote all earlier reports that might have said it wouldn't happen for 50 or a hundred years more? What if they didn't have the data that (s)he had, or had recently been caught in pushing faked data?

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:53 pm

SoCalHiker wrote:
Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:The name of the forum is "News", I was reporting some important news, a fact of enormous significance for the whole world, namely that half of the glacial retreat is not due to any greenhouse effect (and therefore cannot be prevented by reducing greenhouse gases of any kind). This was from a leading scientific journal, Science which I somehow doubt many SP'ers see (I am a subscriber, and a member of the AAAS since 43 years), and there can be absolutely no doubt that Science accepted the validity of the research. Note that this was a report of research, not just 'arguments' for or against anything, an important distinction. I simply thought this must be interesting to know for everybody who has ever set foot on a glacier.

I am well aware that this is not a scientific forum (Buz's way of 'arguing' reminds me) , but I remember other scientific news having been reported here (new findings from Mars for instance). Why should there be a ban on reporting revolutionary breakthroughs in glaciological research, and why is it met with a reaction from some that reminds me of how creationists react to the word "evolution"?

I understand. This research is very interesting, but you have to agree that there are ample of other publications (also in reputable journals) that come to another conclusion. As a scientist you should never cite only the work that fits your opinion.

My point is that although the topic is of course very interesting, it will start a discussion here that will lead nowhere.

No, there are no publications about these data from Swiss glaciers that come to another conclusion.

It is hardly my fault, that some people are allergic to anything new about AGW, that doesn't fit their preconceived ideas. That is only deplorable.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:It is hardly my fault, that some people are allergic to anything new about AGW, that doesn't fit their preconceived ideas. That is only deplorable.

But that article you cited did fit your pre-conceived idea, didn't it? Deplorable?

Charles

by Charles » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:32 pm

charles wrote:Interestingly you´r piece said that 50% was not due to human actions - so that´s 50% is - still looks sort of bad to me. I always thought the main argument about GW was that we are contributing to it.

I thing it makes a great difference whether it is a 100%, or just 50%, (just think if your income fell by 50%!).

For one thing, it means that whatever we do, we cannot change the part that is not due to the greenhouse effect. So even if, at terrible cost, we were able to keep greenhouse gases completely constant, you would still have half the glacial retreat we see now.

Furthermore, it is the first time Nature publishes an article, where someone expressly states "It is a question of scientific honesty to admit that not all the effects of climate change are solely the result of increased greenhouse gases." That would have been unthinkable before the IPCC's less fortunate foray into Himalayan glaciology.

Come on Ejnar, 50% is 50% - for either case, you can´t have one side without the other. Anyway to add another example to your´s, if smoking was responsible for 50% of all deaths and not 100% as was maybe previously thought, would you consider smoking to be ok?
Why would glacial retreat stay the same (or have I missed something?) if we reduce the 50% caused by man?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Blah, blah, blah,...,same old bullshit, same old bullshit, same old bullshit,..., blah, blah, blah. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to News