Poor Conditions on NZ Glaciers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Tom Fralich

Poor Conditions on NZ Glaciers

by Tom Fralich » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:58 am

After a very dry winter, the glaciers in New Zealand, particularly east of the Main Divide, are becoming difficult to pass. Conditions now in mid-December resemble February conditions during a normal season. The Linda Glacier route on Mount Cook was barely passable on December 11 and will be likely be done for the season very soon. Access from the Hooker is becoming similarly cut-off. Anyone planning a trip to NZ should keep this in mind. Better conditions for the rest of what season remains will likely be found on the West Coast due to higher snow accumulations there during the winter. Also, rock routes like Aiguilles Rouges and Malte Brun will be reasonable objectives, as will routes in the Darrans.

brandon

Re: Poor Conditions on NZ Glaciers

by brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:04 am

Yo, It's the worst up at Cook, the Aspiring region still has relatively mellow access across the normal glacier routes.

Up around Cook is tough. As Tom mentioned, some of the rock routes are relatively snow free, but the higher objectives, like the Sheila Face on cook, though they suffer from the drought conditons for the approach, are still covered in sopping wet spring snow, crap.

Anyhoo, I can cofirm the Darran's are in sweet conditon already, late season snow cover already.

Brandon

ktnbs

by ktnbs » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:32 pm

Finally summited Aspiring on Dec. 10 via NWest ridge all the way from Shipowner ridge....walk in walkout. Weather patterns this year much more favourable than last.

While in barbershop at Wanaka the other day I run into Tom Fralich. Quite the co-ink-ee-dink. Had a Redstar burger by the lake and a good chat with him.

In Auckland now and heading to Sydney for my urban holiday before back to small town alaska gloom.

Dan Baker

by Dan Baker » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks for posting that info Tom. I'm in NZ in late Jan and most of Feb - hopefully it doesn't get much worse over the next month..may have to change the climbing plans around a bit. Anyway, thanks again and safe climbing dude.

Cheers,
Dan.

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands