Heel Pain in Mountaineering Boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
peninsula

Re: Heel Pain in Mountaineering Boots

by peninsula » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:50 pm

tequilaboom wrote:Thank you all for the advice. I definitely don't have this pain in any other footwear. Because of that I'm thinking it's not plantar fasciatis.

Is there something a cobbler can do to remedy this?

You have two choices, imo. Either go for a different boot altogether or have a boot maker modify the heel. I've done the later two times and with complete success. The key is finding someone that knows what they are doing. Custom boot makers would generally know how to make the fix. Best of luck!

no avatar
Wigspotter

by Wigspotter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:40 pm

Peninsula, can you recommend who/what I search for to find someone who can do a boot mod?

I've experienced this heel problem too. I'm in Australia and there aren't too many brand options here. I could walk in my Nepal Evos all day but being up on my points puts some acute pressure on one part of my heal. They were the best of all the boots that I could access. I've got some gel pad sock things that help but I'd rather have a go at a mod so I don't have to muck about so much.

Thanks,

C

peninsula

by peninsula » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Wigspotter wrote:Peninsula, can you recommend who/what I search for to find someone who can do a boot mod?

I've experienced this heel problem too. I'm in Australia and there aren't too many brand options here. I could walk in my Nepal Evos all day but being up on my points puts some acute pressure on one part of my heal. They were the best of all the boots that I could access. I've got some gel pad sock things that help but I'd rather have a go at a mod so I don't have to muck about so much.

Thanks,

C

Perhaps inquire with a custom boot maker... try googling. Sorry I can't be of more help. Cheers

The following user would like to thank peninsula for this post
Wigspotter

robertjoy

Re: Heel Pain? Try COMPEED blister cushions

by robertjoy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:35 am

My wife and I have had heel issues with our boots for many years, especially early in the season. We find that COMPEED Blister Cushions (M) adhere to the skin very well in the hot & steamy boot environment. These are super slick to reduce friction, and padded with a hydro-colloid gel for cushioning. They are sold in WALGREEN's drug stores.

no avatar
Wigspotter

Re: Heel Pain? Try COMPEED blister cushions

by Wigspotter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 am

robertjoy wrote:My wife and I have had heel issues with our boots for many years, especially early in the season. We find that COMPEED Blister Cushions (M) adhere to the skin very well in the hot & steamy boot environment. These are super slick to reduce friction, and padded with a hydro-colloid gel for cushioning. They are sold in WALGREEN's drug stores.

Thanks Robert. This issue is less of friction issue and more a pressure problem. It's almost as though the boot hinges a fraction too low for the shape of my heel. When I'm on my front points it's as though the upper of the boot is levering down on the back of the heel. I've tried thinner / no insoles to lower my foot and tricky lacing to encourage the boot to hinge higher. They're just too stiff so doesn't make any difference. I reckon a tiny little stretch in the leathery just at that point is the answer but don't know how to find the right person. Any thoughts?

Thanks, C

jstoshick

by jstoshick » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:48 am

Aside from ensuring you allow your feet time to heel for this suggestion to work -

Superfeet insoles and a heel elevator. This will change the depth that your foot and heal ride in the boot. Check out some physical therapy tape to use on your heel while breaking your new foot beds in.

You can also try, to be on the cheap side, cutting an old air of insoles in half and placing the back half under your footbed. I like the super feet. I find this works great for multi day outings as it changes the pressure points up just enough. Good luck!

no avatar
Wigspotter

by Wigspotter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm

I went and gave them a go with some green superfeet and also an orange footbed but can't remember if that was superfeet also. They were significantly thicker than the standard ones. Unfortunately it didn't make any improvements to the pinch issue. I'm going to have to blame my foot shape and go try stretching the leather. Thanks for your suggestion, I had hope there for a bit!!

C

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Those boots are very stiff. I you're walking up a regular hill you are probabkly tending to try and flex your foot so the heel is moving. I'd try some good inserts that may take up some of the slack in the boot. Also, make sure the lace locks are closed and the boots are tight enough. When you start walking on snow, with crampons you feet will ot flex much. Try walking with your feet relatively flat when you step.

AlpineTrails

by AlpineTrails » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Have the same pair of boots. Used them last year straight from the box with no pain,blisters etc. for several climbs summer and winter, iceclimbing. However this summer on one of the climbs my left heel went numb. Like it was frostbitten or something. Have no idea what happened. Maybe the boot was to tight and something pressed one of the tendons.

So maybe the boot construction is not for your feet. Try some Superfeet insoles, or even better try the Scarpa Phantom series. As they have a inner boots, should be more comfortable.

Ps. That G12 does indeed fit like a glove.

Previous

Return to Gear