Mil-spec softshell pants by Patagonia for alpine climbing?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Sangye

Mil-spec softshell pants by Patagonia for alpine climbing?

by Sangye » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:42 am

I'm looking for a pair of rugged and durable soft-shell pants for alpine climbing, to replace my torn Marmot Screes. I have a hard time finding pants that fit me, as I am tall and relatively thin. Medium-Long is my ideal size.

It is somewhat easier to find military surplus soft-shell pants, from the PCU layering system. Some of these are quite expensive, especially those made by Beyond Fusion. The ones made by Patagonia, however, are surprisingly affordable on eBay.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used any level 5 gear from the military PCU system for alpine climbing and can give feedback? Thanks!

Damien Gildea

Re: Mil-spec softshell pants by Patagonia for alpine climbin

by Damien Gildea » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:29 am

Before the current PCU system, Patagonia made a mil version of their Mixmaster pants - Polartec Powershield outer, light khaki color, R1 fleece bonded inner, with built in gaiters, braces, ankle and hip zips. Photo below. I bought several pairs, online from Diamondback Tactical, for my Antarctic trips in the mid-2000s and still have some.

I'm 6'7" with a 34" waist and 36" inseam and the size L or XL fit fairly well. They're too warm for summer use unless you're quite high, but great for winter so long as it doesn't rain a lot.

Beyond Clothing used to make great custom gear, I have several of their items, but their changes a few years ago ended this. They made pants and jackets (Glacier line) in Nextec Epic material, which was very wind resistant and fairly light. I have pants in this material that I have used over 6000m with a xpd base layer underneath.

I am currently using standard Patagonia Guide pants, 34" waist with the hem lowered and they're pretty good for off the rack.
Attachments
mixmastergrn.JPG
mixmastergrn.JPG (625.24 KiB) Viewed 4378 times

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
Sangye

Sangye

Re: Mil-spec softshell pants by Patagonia for alpine climbin

by Sangye » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:54 am

Great info, just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Return to Gear