NE winter boot advice for 4kers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Couloirman

NE winter boot advice for 4kers

by Couloirman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:48 pm

I have always been an avid backcountry skier out west so plenty of above treeline experience, but now that I live in New England I find myself more drawn to just hiking. I have never been much of a winter hiker outside of skiing so I am a newb in terms of equipment, and I tend to get cold toes as well.

I am going to try to climb all the 4kers in New England this winter and have no idea what boots I will really need. Probably don't need full on crampon compatibility, I think I will be OK with microspikes for the routes I have in mind. Any recs on a good set of winter hiking boots that will get me to the top of all the 4kers through the winter in New England without frozen toes?

Thanls

Bark Eater

Re: NE winter boot advice for 4kers

by Bark Eater » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Sorels have always worked great for me....as long as you aren't going to try to front point up a waterfall....

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:21 pm

The biggest winter challenge in the east is the variability in the weather. One week you can have beastly cold and windy conditions above treeline. The next week you can have a thaw with dangerously high stream crossings. Just have to be patient and adjust expectations and plans to the current conditions. Welcome to the East!

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:13 pm

You will *likely* be fine with microspikes but I'd carry real crampons anyway, at least until you have more experience predicting the trail conditions based on weather, route, and recent traffic. Strap-on crampons will work (better than microspikes, anyway) on almost any boot that can hold microspikes.

As for boots, that's quite individual. I've used un-insulated leather workboots for years, but my feet sweat real easily. I find that if I regulate my core temperature, my fingers and toes take care of themselves (as long as they're not exposed to the wind).

Basham

by Basham » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:44 pm

I'd been reading and heard of Gore-Tex fabric. Supposed to be waterproof and breathable. They can also be insulated. As for brands, I know nothing.

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Don't get me started on a gore-tex rant again. Just do a forum search here. Overrated, and particularly useless for boots, especially insulated boots. Not that it's harmful, which is good because it's everywhere these days, but not something you should be seeking out.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)