Thanksgiving plan Road trip to Page&Utah any Ideas Suggestio

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
raj4neo

Thanksgiving plan Road trip to Page&Utah any Ideas Suggestio

by raj4neo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Me & my friends families are planning to go Antelope Canyon , Grand canyon South Rim and Brcyce canyon for the Thanks giving weekend
Every family had a kid so we didn't plan for any activities

From Nov 24 to Nov 25 , we are planning to stay in Page to see the Lower Antelope Canyon near by places like Lake powell and Horse Shoe Bend and next day we are planning to Grand canyon South Rim

Nov 25th we are planning to go to Brain Head , UT Stay there and next couple of days visiting Bryce canyon

Any suggestion and tips whether we can cover these places and whether it will be Very Snowy and whether Antelope Canyon will be opened ?

Clubbox42

Re: Thanksgiving plan Road trip to Page&Utah any Ideas Sugge

by Clubbox42 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:10 pm

Well, I'm afraid I personally can't help you out too much as far as conditions and such go, but I expect the South Rim, Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, and Horseshoe Bend should probably be fine, but definitely don't quote me on that. For Brian Head and Bryce, however, you will definitely want to plan as if there is snow, since elevations at Brian Head itself exceed 10K in height, so just be prepared for that. As far as the peaks in the area are concerned, I would definitely take a look at Navajo Mountain, UT, right by Powell, but it may not be feasible, however Brian Head Peak, a CoHP exceeding 11K in height, is supposed to be an easy and short walk-up just outside of Brian Head; you can almost take a lift to the summit. Zions NP is in that general vicinity, as is Signal Peak, and if you really want to go for broke you might want to consider Mount Dutton, UT, Boulder Mountain, UT, Delano Peak, UT, or even Humphreys Peak, AZ. Just looking at the place names you've got listed, this trip covers a large enough area that there are countless potential add-ons; these are just a few ideas. My #1 suggestion? Bag at least Brian Head Peak and stop by at least Zions.

seano

by seano » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:18 pm

The South Rim and the rest of the Kaibab Plateau (e.g. Flagstaff) is at around 7,000', so it will be chilly and probably have a dusting of snow. Page is quite a bit lower and warmer, but it's also a bunghole. Depending upon where you're coming from, Valley of the Gods is worth visiting. If you're only taking 4-5 days, I would spend most of that time (2-3 days) at the South Rim, so you don't spend the whole weekend driving. Stay off the main Kaibab and Bright Angel trails, which are dusty troughs of manure and mule urine.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
raj4neo

no avatar
raj4neo

by raj4neo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:42 pm

Some one please let us know it will be too snowy to go to Brian Head from Grand canyon , Whether we need Chains to pass

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:31 am

Some one please let us know it will be too snowy to go to Brian Head from Grand canyon ,

Brian Head is a ski resort, thus the road stays open year round. It can occasionally close for brief periods during storms.

PS, your trip is doable, but that's a lot of windshield time. All of those areas are nice, but consider staying longer in one area to cut down on your driving, unless driving is your primary motive for the trip.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
raj4neo

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:09 am

If you've NEVER been to Grand Canyon, then you most certainly deserve to do so.

You could visit Bryce Canyon some other time, but personally Bryce is a better bet (in winter) if you want to get away from the crowds and snap nice pictures.

If you go to Antelope Canyon, be prepared for being led by Native American tour guides who might be GRUMPY on their best day.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Return to Utah