San Gorgonio in winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
395guy

San Gorgonio in winter

by 395guy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:46 am

I've been up San G 4x or 5x through the years (including this past Aug) using Vivian Creek TH. I'm thinking about attempting it this winter with crampons and ice axe on Vivian Creek TH. I've done ice & snow hiking before (e.g., Rainer 2x, summitted both times). My question is how difficult is it to find the trail? Any other advice? Thanks in advance.

seano

Re: San Gorgonio in winter

by seano » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:59 pm

I did it a number of years ago, and had no trouble following the trail. Like the other mountains in that area, San Gorgonio can get some amazing rime ice, requiring actual crampons instead of microspikes.

395guy

by 395guy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:39 am

Thanks. I remember 12 or 15 years ago, an avid hiker died on the mtn because he slipped and fell without wearing crampons... but he had them in his backpack.

Good to know about the trail. I heard Big Bear got 2' snow over the weekend. That probably buried most every trail. San G looks *very* white right now. Not sure how easy the trail will be to find. Or how often people go up it in winter.

Thanks again.

Norris

by Norris » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:36 am

If you haven't done Vivian Creek in the winter before, I recommend a good GPS with a track in it. Makes it much easier.

no avatar
beantown

by beantown » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:46 pm

in winter you don't need a trail, take a more direct route. for example check out the dobs ridge winter route. you start up vivian but at the first camp area just past the winderness boundry cross the creek and you can go right up dobs ridge to dobs peak, then up to jepson and to san g summit. snowshoes, skis, crampson for whatever the conditions are.

Return to California