Disappearing Summit Log entries

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Fred Spicker

Disappearing Summit Log entries

by Fred Spicker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:31 pm

What's up?

Brian Jenkins was complaining about this and now I have discovered that a number of my entries and Moni's entries are gone.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Disappearing Summit Log entries

by Scott » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Late 2015 and early 2016 someone hacked SP and randomly deleted several hundred summit logs (and photographs). As far is as known, this shouldn't be able to happen anymore.

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Yeah, I've found 15 deleted summit log entries so far. No way to know what photos were deleted.
Was this just random users? My missing log entries are random and various years, areas. No pattern I can see.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Brian Jenkins wrote:Yeah, I've found 15 deleted summit log entries so far. No way to know what photos were deleted.
Was this just random users? My missing log entries are random and various years, areas. No pattern I can see.

The deletions seem to be random. It was a lot of users who lost summit logs. I think I lost around 40?

It was definitely someone malicious, rather than a glitch.

Some mountain and other pages were deleted as well. Fortunately those could be recovered, but the summitlogs could not (the malicious person went after summit logs after he or she found that the other pages could be quickly recovered). At one time all of the elves and staff were deleted too.

Tighter security measures are now in place.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Brian Jenkins

Return to Site Feedback