Photo Resolution

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Panorama Paul

Photo Resolution

by Panorama Paul » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 am

I used to be able to click twice on a photo and view at full resolution. That second click, and therefore full resolution, is no longer available. WHY?

The following user would like to thank Panorama Paul for this post
ZeeJay

Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Photo Resolution

by Matt Miller » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm

You simply need to click the link "Orig" in the top right corner of the page to view the full-sized image.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
ZeeJay

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks, I was wondering about that myself. However, clicking "Orig" is not very obvious when you are used to doing it the other way. When you click on the image itself, you get a plus sign which you can move around leaving one to believe that when clicked would enlarge the image significantly, centered at that spot, but it barely does anything. I had just assumed that for space reasons you cut the resolution so it is nice to know there is another way to get it now, but what is the rational for taking the old functionality away? It used to be that when you clicked the plus sign you would get full resolution as Panorama Paul has noted.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:28 pm

ZeeJay wrote:what is the rational for taking the old functionality away? It used to be that when you clicked the plus sign you would get full resolution as Panorama Paul has noted.

The old way meant that the full high resolution version of the image loaded with every page load, which used up a ton of bandwidth which costs a lot of money and slows down the page load time (both bad things).

So we changed to use the "large" size which will still fill the screen but is usually less than 50% the file size of the original. This saves both page load time and bandwidth.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
ZeeJay

Return to Site Feedback