Orizaba Avalanche Forecast

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
keth0601

Orizaba Avalanche Forecast

by keth0601 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:59 am

Wondering if anyone knows where one could get a report on the snow conditions for Pico De Orizaba? Do they even have avalanche forecasting in Mexico?

It sounds like they're getting unusually heavy snow right now due to hurricane systems and it has me a bit concerned about my November 17th/18th climb. Hoping things have settled by then. I'm a bit worried about the time it will take to do snow pit tests if necessary, and I don't know that hasty pit tests (ice axe shear tests) will be enough...

keth0601

Re: Orizaba Avalanche Forecast

by keth0601 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm

So my climb is well and over with now, but for those interested there doesn't seem to be any official source for avalanche conditions are they are very rarely an issue on Orizaba.

If you do want to know what the snow conditions are like the best source seems to be one or more of the local guide companies. We climbed with Orizaba Mountain Guides and they seemed to share and receive reports of the conditions on the mountain quite frequently (via radio) as well as getting reports from other guides and climbers.

The following user would like to thank keth0601 for this post
Matt Miller, T. White

Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Orizaba Avalanche Forecast

by Matt Miller » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks for posting back with that information.

Were you able to summit?

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean