Treadmill - is it worth getting one and what to look for?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Amelia

Treadmill - is it worth getting one and what to look for?

by Amelia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:17 am

Do any of you own and use a treadmill? I'm wondering if it might improve motivation if I don't have to run outside in the cold and dark.
What should you look out for and what is a good budget for a reasonably good and reliable treadmill?
Also, are they really noisy? Would I be able to put the TV on and watch it whilst using a treadmill without waking the whole street up?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Treadmill - is it worth getting one and what to look for

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:08 pm

I have used treadmills, although prefer to trail run year round in the foot fills of the Cascades (read very wet). Learn to embrace the suck, it builds character and a tolerance for discomfort.

That said, Precor makes high quality fitness club/commercial quality treadmills, which are more durable than your standard home treadmill. They are very quiet, easy to watch T.V., listen to music, chat up women/men (yes, I know that is a horrible breach of gym etiquette, but I met my wife that way, so there you go).

In terms of features, I would recommend one that inclines (the steeper the better) and has variable speeds (the faster the better). Optional in my mind is programmable workouts (intervals, auto inclining to replicate running on rolling terrain, cup holder), although any commercial grade treadmill should have all of those features.

I recommend buying used from Craigslist or other local want ads for used and/or refurbished models. Expect to pay $1,500 - $2,500 for a used commercial quality Precor. Nordictrack is another good quality brand that manufactures commercial quality treadmills at a lower price point than Precor. Expect to pay between $500 - $1,000 for a one.

Hope that helps.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Matt Miller

moonspots

by moonspots » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Amelia wrote:Do any of you own and use a treadmill? I'm wondering if it might improve motivation if I don't have to run outside in the cold and dark.
What should you look out for and what is a good budget for a reasonably good and reliable treadmill?
Also, are they really noisy? Would I be able to put the TV on and watch it whilst using a treadmill without waking the whole street up?

Treadmills bore me silly. But, during the winter months, it IS a warmer workout environment. I used to have one that had no motor, you just powered it by running, and it was quiet, but I don't know if they make those still. And I've had the motorized ones also. If you go that route, get one which can raise the slope. As I recall, it was several hundred $. My wife saw one on QVC the other day that folds down to slide under the bed. I don't recall the cost, but it was probably just a few hundred $ or so. Another "feature" you may want to look for is longer handrails so you can hang lots of clothes on it. :lol:

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:34 pm

I don't know where you live but my advice is to suck it up and hike, run etc outside. Most people get bored very quickly with their treadmill. If you search your area there should be schools with a track, ballfields, trails, golf courses, etc where you can safely run. Use a headlamp during the dark months. I guaranty that you will enjoy that better than a treadmill at home.

Return to Technique and Training