Basic questions on getting into backcountry skiing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
wattyg

Basic questions on getting into backcountry skiing

by wattyg » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Very new to summitpost, so please be forgiving if I posted this at the wrong place. I'm trying to get more into backcountry skiing and will be getting my AVIARE1 soon. I wanted to see if people know of any good organizations and what not that would be planning backcountry ski trips as I would love to take part in group trips to further develop my skills. I tried looking into the sierra club, but it seems covid might have shut things down. Would people know of other orgs that run such trips?

Also if it seems every major org is no longer running these trips. Do people know if there is such a thing as mentor/mentee relationship in backcountry skiing? I come from a climbing background and I know its not uncommon for people to reach out and search for a mentor. Is something like that commonplace in the backcountry skiing community? And if so where would I go to start searching for a mentor :)

cheers, Watson from NorCal

asmrz

Re: Basic questions on getting into backcountry skiing

by asmrz » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:02 am

Watson, the only organization I know that provide all the things you seek, is the local Chapter of The Sierra Club. Here in Southern California The Ski Mountaineering Section has been at it for at least 70 years. Over the years, I participated in many of their trips. The group was always helpful, friendly, supportive and without exception, they were great backcountry skiers.

The San Fran chapter has similar section.

At this time, there is NO organization that would make group trips. The Covid is the reason. I bet that once the calamity is over, all the climbing, skiing and hiking sections of Sierra Club will start again. Most likely not this coming snow season.

The only way to get out with other people, is to find someone who would take you with him/them. You could try to advertise for partners on SummitPost. There is a partner section on SP. Look it up.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
T. White

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Basic questions on getting into backcountry skiing

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:19 pm

You have just a few choices at this point in the pandemic:
-go alone
-hire a guide
-find a partner

Going alone in the backcountry is not safe for a beginner, but it is perfectly fine to go to downhill ski resorts to train. You really need to be a competent skier if you want to have FUN when you head out into the backcountry. Buy a season pass to your local downhill resort and put a lot of time on the lifts with your backcountry skis. Take ski lessons. This pays off BIG TIME when you finally head into the backcountry. I can't emphasize this enough. Seriously, I recommend that, because of the pandemic, you should spend this winter on the lifts. Forget about the backcountry this season. Unless you're already a really competent skier.

Hire a guide - I am sure they are desperate for clients. if you can afford a guide, that is.

Find a partner. Back in the day we used to put an index card up at the local climbing store to find climbing partners. Start asking around to see if you can find a more experienced person to show you the ropes.

https://www.summitpost.org/corn-gods-an ... ier/507168

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
T. White

Return to California