Mt. Sill via Bishop Pass

Find climbing partners in California
no avatar
Npappani

Mt. Sill via Bishop Pass

by Npappani » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:42 pm

I posted the following in the General Forum but I think I should have posted it here. My apologies as I am new to the site.

Last summer my 15-year old son and I did Mt. Agassiz, which was a phenomenal entry into Summiting for my son. This year we are thinking about trying Mt. Sill from Bishop Pass so as to keep the technical difficulty to summit Sill to Class 2-3. I have read reports of how brutal the trekking/ bouldering is from Bishop Pass to Sill, so much so that I am a bit unsure of the feasibility of this route for us, unless we train really well. I was hoping I could get some input from those who are familiar with the possible routes, including Thunderbolt Pass, Knapsack Pass, etc. We would have multiple days, so we can (and would need to) break up the trip to Sill. Thunderbolt Pass seems the most direct route from Bishop Pass and has the attractiveness of skirting the base of the Palisades, but my understanding is that the bouldering is more difficult than taking Knapsack Pass, for example. I look forward to getting input!

Thank you very much!

Return to US - California