I need friends

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar

I need friends

by 6942069 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:39 am

I need climbing friends. I'm a novice, I don't own gear, I've never even been on a wall. I just like to bushwhack up whatever mountains i can find at my local state park. I'm bored I guess. yea

SpiderSavage

Re: I need friends

by SpiderSavage » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:26 pm

Get a fresh haircut, brush your teeth, put on a clean shirt, post a nice selfie with your local mountains in the background. Post more pictures of you favorite routes.

Join the Mountaineers, the American Alpine Club, get involved with your local University Outdoor Program, local REI Classes.

Read "Freedom of the Hills." Start building a collection of gear, bit by bit. Get the guidebooks to your local stuff. Do some routes and spray on SummitPost and MountainProject.

Life is long and someday you'll be famous.

The following user would like to thank SpiderSavage for this post
Josh Lewis, Marcsoltan

no avatar

by 6942069 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:13 am

God bless, but idk about that first part...

Dave McAlister

by Dave McAlister » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:01 pm

I know this is an old thread, but the struggle is real. Local clubs, the Mountaineers and REI are all so focused on getting everyone out for their first magical experience that everyone who actually has some experience and knows what they are doing can't connect and get marginalized. Why is it nearly impossible to meet other climbers and backcountry skiers?

I believe groups like the Mountaineers are creating a situation where people are somewhat forced to go out solo - a very dangerous proposition. There is no partner finder on the Mountaineers website and no way (at least effectively) to post messages on any sort of physical message board at their facility. I have been told essentially there is no way to connect with other climbers or skiers when you are new to the area like I am.

Klenke

by Klenke » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:26 am

May I suggest reading about posters' exploits then private messaging them directly to see if you can strike up a dialogue, perhaps meet for a beer, and see if there's mutual compatibility. NWHikers.net is also a good PNW forum for that kind of hook-up thing. You can see who the repeat trip reporters are and message them.

I'd invite you to go out with me but you'd probably keep stepping on my big huge balls that orbit each other.

The following user would like to thank Klenke for this post
Eric K

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)