Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
atodor

Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers

by atodor » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:51 am

I was planning a trip in the eastern Sierra July 1-3. I am wondering what the snow conditions will be with the all time high snowpack this year. I am specifically worried about the trails to Thousand Island Lake, Minaret, Cecile& Iceberg, the lakes around Hungry Packer Lake and Brainad & Finger. I can deal with some snow patches here and there, but my two concerns are that the scenery is diminished if the lakes are frozen and valleys covered in snow, and hiking and route finding may become hard or impossible with the trails covered in snow.
I am considering changing this trip to Grand Teton and Wind River, including Cirque of the towers, but I am not sure it would be any better.
Anyone can make a prediction when the snow would be mostly gone?

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

Re: Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers

by ZeeJay » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:24 pm

The beginning of July seems kind of early. Here is a link to the modeled snow for Grand Teton.

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive ... ar=shading

Over on the left, where it says "Select Date", you can go back in time to see what you are up against. You can find a year that had a similar snowpack to the current, and then see what it looked like that July.

You can only go forward in time 3ish days.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed May 24, 2023 6:29 pm

atodor wrote:...but my two concerns are that the scenery is diminished if the lakes are frozen and valleys covered in snow, and hiking and route finding may become hard or impossible with the trails covered in snow...

YGBSM

"scenery is diminished?"

"route finding hard or impossible?"

The scenery is GREATLY ENHANCED by all the snow and frozen lakes. There is nothing uglier than the High Sierra devoid of snow.

Route-finding and hiking is INFINITELY EASIER when there is a thick snowpack. You don't need to stay on the trail because the trail is buried, and you can go where ever you want. The boulders and talus and buried, and thus the walking is much smoother and easier.

I'm afraid you've got it all completely backwards. The best time of year in the High Sierra is late May through June, when there is still a lot of snow.

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
asmrz

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed May 24, 2023 8:06 pm

You might not see any trails (in the High Sierra) till August.

Same issue with Sawtooths, Winds and upper Colorado.

The High Sierra this summer will be limited to those who find snowy terrain, navigating by map and compass and moving in those kind of conditions, safe and wonderful.

If you are not one of those people, there is always the next summer.

It might be much safer for you.

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:34 pm

More snow = less mosquitos

Return to California