Where would you move to?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Castlereagh

Re: Where would you move to?

by Castlereagh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:22 pm

POLUKO wrote:San Diego is a great place to live if your standards are low in terms of mountains. After 1 year this is my impression: The climate is incredible and it is a young surfer type crowd. The city itself is fun and it seems like everyone is drunk all the time due to tourism and heavy military influence. It isn't a huge city though and escape is possible. I find the people are nice and most aren't locals. Poser transplant socal types everywhere but everyone is just happy to be here. Even the bums are nice when they aren't stabbing each other or smoking crack.

The beach towns are the best. Very fun and cool little "towns" less than 10 miles from downtown. This place is a drunk/pothead/zero ambition type person heaven. If you don't party much then you will get sick of it reeeeaaaaal quick! However, there is more to it than the party scene. Picture sunny beautiful coastal cliffs with whales migrating and birds everywhere... In January.

Jobs are scarce but there are many big companies here and it is possible to be a normal working type.

As for hiking...the local stuff is low, abundant, pretty and it hardly rains. It is either foggy, partly cloudy or perfect. Usually on the same day. The weather changes very fast but it just doesn't change much. Typical temp is high 60's near the coast and 70's inland. 50's in the winter maybe. It can get very hot for hiking sometimes in the summer...like 90's or 100. But it's a dry heat :-)

2-3 hours drive to get to a peak over 10k. Good rock climbing close to the city and J tree is 3 hours away. 2 hours to Anza borrego- great desert stuff in the winter months. 5+ hours to Sierra with good traffic conditions...nightmare drive if you time it wrong. Tahoe/Bay area is a long drive. Vegas is 5 hours away. 7 to Zion. I avoid LA at all costs.

If you like a laidback beach type attitude and you don't mind driving through the desert for hours to get to the big mountains then this place is for you. If you are a hardcore winter sports person then stay away.

I am yearning to be in the shadow of great peaks and I am longing to hike/ski more so I will most likely move to CO next.

Thanks! I took a trip a few years ago with some buddies to LA and SD, and that's the impression I got of the latter, that is was all kids who moved there because they wanted to be there, and were happy they did so. (I agree with you on LA though, traffic was awful and with a few exceptions it just seemed to be one big townie haven). My roommates live to party, and I enjoy it to a certain extent as well, so that will be fun. I'm not sure if I can stomach the long
drives to the mountains, but it'll still at least be a shorter trip than traveling cross-country every year from Boston, and it would be cool to have summer hiking conditions 12 months out of the year.

Tampan

by Tampan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:32 pm

I know this is an old thread but one of the best places to move is Tampa, Florida. It’s as flat as it gets so don’t expect any mountain climbing, but there are all kinds of outdoor activities that make it worthwhile. First of all you have the most beautiful beaches in the world. Tampa Is near the Gulf Coast. The water is beautiful, and the sand is very white. That comes with a lot of fishing, skiing, kayaking, sailing, and all the water sports you can dream of. If you are interested in making a living, there are plenty of business opportunities. I’m in the legal field, so I also wanted to mention, if your spouse doesn’t like the hot weather, you may need a Tampa divorce lawyer to help you out. But seriously, you may have to deal with hurricanes and the cost of living in Tampa is getting a bit more expensive lately, but it’s still somewhat affordable. And don’t forget about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Rays in MLB, and the Lightning in the NHL.
Last edited by Tampan on Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
JS99

by JS99 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:25 pm

Lived in a few of them. Honestly depends on so many factors such as age, interests, cultural proclivities etc.

If climbing is not of interest and you are young (early 30's or younger). I'd recommend an east coast city. There is just a lot of fun energy that can't be captured the same way on the east coast if you are on the west.

If you are prime 30's for two years, I'd say the west - Potentially even the bay area. It's got a bad rap lately, but it has an awesome daytime culture. The nightlife just isn't as good. I find that formyself and most other people in their late 30's the beauty of the area and the affordability make the difference, along with being close to family.....but no matter what I think the junkiest place on the list is Charlotte....sorry charlotte people.

Tampan

by Tampan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:23 am

If by the Bay Area you mean San Francisco, I would have to
agree. That is one of my favorite places to visit. It really feels like a different planet than Tampa. Love the weather there.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:39 am

To each their own, but I'd rather jump off a skyscraper into a pile of shattered glass than live in Florida.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Scott M.

Previous

Return to General