STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
gsowers

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by gsowers » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:56 pm

My first post.

I'm planning to attempt Granite in mid-August via the SW ramp with my 70 yr old father-in-law and my 17 yr old daughter. My father-in-law is amazing and has done 40+ state highpoints. I'm at 16 and my daughter 2.

Anyone have recent conditions? Question is snow on the ramp or approach. Do we need to bring ice axe and/or crampons? Thanks!

no avatar
JMCO808

by JMCO808 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Bark Eater wrote:Some had asked for a Gannett Peak conditions report: Three of us attempted Gannett via Elkhart Park and Titcomb Basin from July 11-13. Jeremy summited, Nate and I did not. I attribute my lack of success to overestimation of fitness level and underestimation of difficulty. It would have been much more likely as a 4-5 day trip. There was a surprising amount of up and down the first 15 miles. Full pack combined with altitude on day 1 wiped me out for the summit day. Trails down low were very wet and muddy. Had to ford Little Seneca Lake due to high water level. Bonney Pass was half snow covered, half scree. Jeremy reported that the bergschrund was open but a 10-foot wide snow bridge remained. Snow was firm in the morning and sloppy in the afternoon. When the wind stopped the mosquitoes were hungry. Trails drying up on the way out. Had intermittent hail and a bit of a thunderstorm Saturday and Sunday. Not overly disappointed about not summiting as it was still a great first-time adventure in a beautiful place.

Just did Gannett as well. Came in from elkhart/pole creek, did it in 3 days (July 12-14, summitted on monday, 35 hours trail time). It was quite challenging, especially considering we camped at the first lake in titcomb. Conditions were really good, don't think the snow bridge will be around much longer though. Wayfinding up Bonney was a bit of a challenge, probably lost an hour there in the dark. It was pretty awesome though!

The following user would like to thank JMCO808 for this post
Bark Eater

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:40 am

gsowers wrote:My first post.

I'm planning to attempt Granite in mid-August via the SW ramp with my 70 yr old father-in-law and my 17 yr old daughter. My father-in-law is amazing and has done 40+ state highpoints. I'm at 16 and my daughter 2.

Anyone have recent conditions? Question is snow on the ramp or approach. Do we need to bring ice axe and/or crampons? Thanks!

Typically by mid-August the couloir is a scramble and you can get around any remaining ice.....or so I'm told! Good luck! And welcome to SP!

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
gsowers

sm0421

by sm0421 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:11 pm

gsowers wrote:My first post.

Hi, do bring ice axe for everyone, unless you are absolutely comfortable with class 5 rock climbing. Usually there are ice/snow in the ramp itself and with axe it's much more manageable. I also recommend bringing microspikes or crampons for the same reason, especially downclimb on steep ice/snow. One of our guys slipped because he didn't have foot traction, but he successfully self-arrested with an axe. Would have been an injury.

-Alex

The following user would like to thank sm0421 for this post
gsowers

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi, do bring ice axe for everyone...

And know how to use it! An ax won't help you much if you haven't been trained in how to self arrest.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:01 pm

I had fun playing tour guide in the Northeast last week. Six highpoint repeats - NJ, CT, RI, MA, VT, NY. The new addition was we threw in five state tri-points along the way...an interesting diversion. NY-PA-NJ, NY-CT-MA, MA-RI-CT, MA-VT-NY, MA-VT-NH. MA-VT-NY involved a bushwhack that was not insignificant. Fun week away from work!

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:02 pm

What's a tri-point?

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Tri-points are the corners where three states meet. There are 38 recognized "dry" corners, and of course 4 corners. Usually a neat monument of some historical significance. Here is the "bible", dated but useful information:
http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/docs/parsell.pdf

Puma, the MA-NY-VT description was a wee bit outdated. For us It was about a half mile bushwhack along the MA-VT state line to find the corner. But it's also about 100 yards up an old logging road from a leanto, so I know there is a more straightforward way to get there. Just don't have a good map of the trails in the area.

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
Woodswalker

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:07 pm

We finished quite a long weekend to climb Black Mesa and Magazine Mountain. #44-45 for me, #34-35 for Lillian. Threw in four state tri-point corners to boot. Plus a very humbling visit to the Oklahoma City bombing memorial. Flew into OKC. 1420 miles on the rental car to accomplish all of this between Noon Saturday and mid-afternoon Tuesday. Beautiful weather the whole time. Black Mesa B&B is highly recommended to anyone headed out that way. Comfortable, quiet, and great hosts!

Jow

by Jow » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Congrats Frank I've never heard of anyone combining those two particular highpoints before. Rental car companies should have a warning poster with your face on it so they can plan on how much their odometer will be increasing by time you return it.

I'm off to Hawaii Saturday and hopefully summit Mauna Kea sometime next week.

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Bark Eater

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Jow wrote:Congrats Frank I've never heard of anyone combining those two particular highpoints before. Rental car companies should have a warning poster with your face on it so they can plan on how much their odometer will be increasing by time you return it.

I'm off to Hawaii Saturday and hopefully summit Mauna Kea sometime next week.

Make sure you have some Musubis in your pack and really check the weather if you have a choice of days. Good luck.

Jow

by Jow » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Mauna Kea complete #32. great time. trip report below. for some reason on computer some pictures are side wise but on my ipad they look fine not sure how to fix. Nothing on books yet for 2016 but so many exciting opportunities.

http://www.summitpost.org/big-fun-on-big-island/958304

Jow

by Jow » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Jow wrote:Mauna Kea complete #32. great time. trip report below. for some reason on computer some pictures are side wise but on my ipad they look fine not sure how to fix. Nothing on books yet for 2016 but so many exciting opportunities.

http://www.summitpost.org/big-fun-on-big-island/958304

Allright I fixed it now trip report pics looks fine on computer but shitty on iPhone. can't win but i think this is better

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Bark Eater

PreviousNext

Return to General