STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bark Eater

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Bark Eater » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Jow, congrats on Mauna Kea. It looks like it was a fun trip! We hope to follow you there in February for #46!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Bump. Wanted to keep this great thread alive. What highpointing plans do you have for 2016? I'm planning on finally getting to Mauna Kea in October for #46! February just didn't work out for several reasons.

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
GEM Trail

Jow

by Jow » Tue May 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for keeping alive, so close to 100 pages it'd be shame to fall to wayside. I am doing the Dakotas in early August. Thought about trying to tackle Boundary & Whitney in June but decided against it since time away from family is at premium these days and didn't want to risk in less than optimal time of year. I may be heading to St. Louis for work in fall and if that's the case i'll at least nab MO HP and if i can squeeze it in road trip from MO, MS, AR, and LA which would fill my map in nicely.

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Bark Eater

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Sun May 15, 2016 3:12 am

After a 5-year drought, did Hoosier Hill, Indiana (#24) and Campbell Hill, Ohio (#25) today. Going to see the Ohio Caverns and Aviation Museums in Daytona tomorrow. Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota or New York, Vermont, New Hampshire on the radar. Getting those itchy feet ancy feelings for some adventure!

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Mon May 16, 2016 9:11 pm

I leave tomorrow to relocate from Chicago to San Diego for another job opportunity I was not expecting so I am doing this on the fly. Going to take a the northern route across the country with some major detours then shoot further south as some point.

Thinking Michigan - Wisonconsin - Minnesota first in that order. Then onto Iowa. From there I have 4 states in a north to south line Starting with ND, SD, Nebraska, and Kansas. So those are 8 definite states that I would sweep by pretty quickly.

Anyone know about the 4 corner states in late May/Early June? I would love to hike a couple either Utah, Colorado, Arizona, or even New Mexico again (always wanted to hike NM again with good weather). If we are talking snow shoes and post holing, I'll save those for another trip when I am better prepared and not in the middle of a relocation.

Thanks!

seano

by seano » Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 pm

sgb02d wrote:Anyone know about the 4 corner states in late May/Early June?

NM and AZ should be fine, though Wheeler will probably have a bit of snow. Elbert has been getting a fair bit of snow lately, but enough people do it that there should be a trench on the standard route.

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Wed May 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Appreciate the feedback on the four corner states .

So far on this trip have Summitted Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota. All of them have nice views at the top ( Wisconsin included because they have a high observation tower). The most challenging part so far was driving up the dirt road in Michigan and crossing "the dam" and losing cell phone signal service when trying to locate where Tim's Hill was in Wisconsin ( non hiking related issues but a part of the challenge!) Now time for some major driving detours to Iowa and the Dakotas. Got to love it !

Jow

by Jow » Thu May 19, 2016 2:28 pm

sgb02d wrote: Now time for some major driving detours to Iowa and the Dakotas. Got to love it !

I drove from Charles Mound to Hawkeye Point last summer I can honestly say one of most boring drives Ive had. enjoy

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu May 19, 2016 3:33 pm

I think the drive from Eagle Mountain to White Butte, directly, would be more interesting than Eagle Mountain to Hawkeye Point to White Butte.

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Fri May 20, 2016 5:50 am

Puma - The MI, WI, MN trifecta was a nice start. Minnesota was awesome and the drive very scenic!

Jow - I feel your pain. The drive from MN to Iowa then to ND is 1,000 miles plus of endless praries and grasslands. Lost my mind a few times... perfectly normal haha. That was tough.

12 hours of driving and only two hours of hiking to summit North Dakota. Side trips to Souix Falls Park (very highly recommended) and SD Capitol building while driving. South Dakota tomorrow morning. 78 degrees today.

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Done with the high point trip starting from Chicago to MI-WI-MN-IA-ND-SD-NE-KS and then drove home to San Diego all in exactly one week. Wish I could have done Charles Mound but only accessible several days a year on private land in summer. Was very pleased to get the states that are so far out of the way done. Grasslands are nice but you can only drive so many miles before you go crazy . Favorite part of the trip was that 100 mile drive from Duluth Minnesota along Lake superior and then hiking Eagle Mountain. The most beautiful hike was SD- Harney peak was not expecting that.

The following user would like to thank sgb02d for this post
Bark Eater

PreviousNext

Return to General