Good 4000er Near Zermatt that's not too difficult

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Rocky Alps

Good 4000er Near Zermatt that's not too difficult

by Rocky Alps » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:59 pm

This May I'm going to be in Zermatt for a few days with some friends, and we would like to climb one of the 4000-meter peaks in the area. I've climbed several 14ers (14,000 foot peaks) in Colorado, but don't have much experience climbing in the Alps. It's been awhile since I've done a big winter climb with an ice axe, crampons, etc., so I was hoping to do one of the easier ones. From comments I've read it seems that the Breithorn and Allalinhorn summits are obtainable for first-timers. I'm not sure if I'd need a guide but it might be a good idea since it will be my first big climb in the Alps. We won't have any equipment with us, so we'll also need to find a place nearby where we can rent what we need for glacier-hiking.
If anyone has experience climbing in this area and has advice on some good places to hike/climb in mid-May that would be great.

Moni

by Moni » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:32 pm

4000m peaks
Of these, the easiest and close to Zermatt would include Breithorn, Allalinhorn, Alphubel, Castor, Pollux, Weissmies, Lagginhorn.

All of these (not just the easy ones) mountains have much more vertical than anything in the US and you will have to be on glacier. Only Lagginhorn has a non-glacier route. However, in May there will still be lots of snow.

There are plenty of places to rent equipment in Zermatt. If you have no glacier experience, Breithorn might be okay - especially if there is a track. Otherwise, play it safe and get a guide.

Rocky Alps

by Rocky Alps » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:34 am

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll aim for the Breithorn, since the elevation gain isn't too much (after taking the lift up to the Klein Matterhorn).

hucksquaw

by hucksquaw » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:19 am

:wink: n. face of the lyskamm :wink:

no avatar
Henning Lege

by Henning Lege » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:00 am

May is excellect for 4000er, but with SKI only.
If you do not know skiing, consider usning snow shoes (in addition to the alpine equipment).
Good luck,
Henning

Rocky Alps

by Rocky Alps » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:24 pm

I saw that the Breithorn has a 35% grade on the southwest ridge, so I was wondering if snowshoes could be used instead of krampons? I've done some snow-shoeing here in Utah recently, so I might be more comfortable with that. As far as skis go, I've been skiing since I was little and have no trouble making it down double black diamonds, but have never really mixed hiking and skiing together. I've heard it's quite fun to hike up and then ski down, though.

tonyscotland

by tonyscotland » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:18 pm

:lol:

I climbed the Breithorn about 2 years ago, coming down off the ridge aint so bad, we came down in our crampons, but soon ditched them further down.

Never used snow shoes, so cant comment.

Your choice of 4000er is excellent one. The ride upto the Klein Matterhorn is great fun, then you walk through a long tunnel and youve heard the expression "walk towards the white light", well thats what you do, then you exit into snow wonderland :twisted:

I stayed in Zermatt for 2 weeks last august had a great walking holiday, no cars in the town was very peaceful, they use golf like buggies to drive you around (taxis)

Returning to Zermatt in september to climb the Matterhorn.

Heading to Colorado in 2 weeks breck to board yeeehaa

If you want an idea for something else, why not try the Grand Paridiso in Itlay, i will be climbing that in June

Rocky Alps

by Rocky Alps » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info, Tony. It sounds like the Breithorn is definitely a good hike in terms of the great views and relative ease of ascent, so I'm really excited to do it now. :D
That's awesome that you're going to climb the Matterhorn soon! It's still a far-off goal of mine, so if I have the time, $$$, and am in good enough shape then maybe some other time I'll try it.
Do you know how long it would take to get to the Gran Paradiso from Geneva? (I might have time to go down there but I'm not sure yet).

Return to Europe