Recommend good training hikes in Zermatt

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
P. Vis

by P. Vis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:01 pm

I allready gave you the info concerning the Matterhornconditions, a nice feedback would have been welcome then. :?

P. Vis

by P. Vis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Better is hiking the Mettelhorn, starting from Zermatt.
Or from Randa to the Domhut and back.

Maybe, (highly recommended) a bivy in the Schalivalley 4 hours from camping Attermenzen accros the golfcourse (directon Weisshornhut.

Moni

by Moni » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:57 am

Take the train back down to valley and hike to the Zinalrothorn hut and back. Take the gondola up to Chlimatterhorn and climb the Breithorn.

hikerdd

by hikerdd » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Schwarzee to Hornli Hut is a great acclimation hike, but better still to hike from Zermatt. It will also give you a good look at the climb during daylite, I climbed up on it for aways the day prior.

I also hiked solo and came from sea level to the Matterhorn Climb this month and I hiked Oberrothorn 3415, nice training hike, A local favorite! I also hiked up to the Gandegghutte 3029 and stayed overnite to help acclimate. lots of the guided groups heading for the Breithorn were starting the hike to this hutte from the Furi tram.

I used a local guide for the Matterhorn, and be ready to just keep moving... Lots of training hikes right from Zermatt.

When you practice hike...just pump it as steady as you can for longer periods as you acclimate...it's a lot of elevation! I can't wait to get back and finish it!!

selinunte01

by selinunte01 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Barrhörner from Turtmann valley via Turtmann hut are a good acclimatisation hike you can do solo. They are about 3610 m high and completely ice - free

Return to Europe