Suggestions for April Trip to Europe

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
oaklander

Suggestions for April Trip to Europe

by oaklander » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:49 pm

I'll be in southern Germany for about 3 weeks starting in the beginning of April and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for a good climbing/ mountaineering experience for that time of year. I'm not sure how the snow levels have been at that time of the year in the past, or how the snow is looking this year (not that it won't change in a month...). I'm up for anything...cragging, alpine climbing, bouldering, big walls...anything. I've been swamped getting ready for the trip and haven't had time to do any research on my own, so I'm taking the lazy way out and asking others :oops: Although we'll be starting the trip in southern Germany, anywhere in Europe (within reason) would be possible. Thanks very much for any help you can offer.
-Mike

avidwanderer

by avidwanderer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:47 am

There are some great areas in southern Germany. Check out Garmisch, and Berchtesgaden. Garmisch has Germany's highest peak, the Zugspitze, which has a good glacier/via feratta route, and Berchtesgaden also has many great routes. Snow conditions will probably determine more than anything what you do. If you want to go a little farther you can check out Austria, perhaps the Grossglockner? All of these places are covered in detail on the site, just find a route you like!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:42 am

Hi Oaklander.

I only hike the Bavarian mountains but have got rather hooked on doing that in winter as well as the rest of the year.

I have had two trips there this year, the last ending a few days ago.

For climbing I guess you are going to have to make an approach hike and at present there is one heck of a lot of snow out there, with a great deal more falling at present and forecast over the next week.

Snow shoes will probably be essential to get you anywhere near what I understand are the more Alpine type climbs. Can't really advise on those, but I had hoped to do a few exposed ridges, (which is the limit of my expertise and experience), but either couldn't get up the approach slopes because I was concerned about avalanche risk, and/or because I was concerned about the vast amount of snow covering a lot of the rocky bits I would have to scramble over.

Most important thing is making sure you have daily access to the http://www.lawinenwarndienst-bayern.de/lagebericht/index.php Bavarian avalanche service. My recent trip was my fourth in winter since Jan 2005, and the first time I had seen avalanche activity. A lot of small to medium falls. One low down in a forest blocking a normally safe route up to a mountain hutte, (Bodenschneidhaus), that is open all year. Not this year: closed on 9th January until Easter.

no avatar
Thmue

Southern Germany - beginning of April

by Thmue » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:02 pm

Hello Oaklander,
For Alpine climbing try Wilder Kaiser south faces (1hr by car from Muenchen) or Tannheimer Alpen (due to lots of bolts a crowded area in summer). Snow coverage is high this spring, watch the avalanche danger (during access to the foot of the face, or from gorges), ski could be necessary for the access.

oaklander

by oaklander » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks for all of the great beta! I think we are going to head down to the Bavarian alps as suggested. Having never done via feratta I am a bit curious. We'll be sure to bring snowshoes as well. Thanks again!

Mathias Zehring

by Mathias Zehring » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:18 pm

If you want to do climbing in April without sticking in snow IMHO the only place to go is Italy at the southern end of the alps - Grigne perhaps or mountains around Lago di Garda.

Noah (Oregon)

Too Much Snow

by Noah (Oregon) » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:39 pm

Do you like ski-mountaineering? The massive amounts of snow will mean that most via ferrata are buried under loads of snow (along with the rocks). Try a skiable mountain. Germans love that kind of stuff. Do you tele? Good luck! NOAH

Return to Europe