Gridlewald/Eiger help

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mountainmanjohn

Gridlewald/Eiger help

by mountainmanjohn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 am

I am planning to go to Grindlewald end of this month. Many years of looking at the Eiger prompted a longing to go up. We plan to do the wetterhorn, and if good weather, the Eiger West Flank. I know its not supposed to be the best of routes.
I was to do it last year but had bad weather.
ANY hints tips, pictures, ideas, gear/route info would be of great help. There doesnt seem much in books to help, as its a descent route normally.
Many thanks.

hansw

by hansw » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:12 pm

I have only gone down the west flank. Then the word was keep right. So, going up, if in doubt, keep to the left.
Good luck and take care.

hansw

by hansw » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:03 pm

Come to think of “A Hard Day’s Summer” by Alison Hargreaves. There is a chapter about the Eiger emphasizing the seriousness of the west flank.

mountainmanjohn

Thaks

by mountainmanjohn » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:18 pm

Thanks for that reply. To be honest its put me off. But thats not a problem, I'd rather be safe. I cocidered it because it may be an option for someone less confident of the mittleggi, but maybe its not such a good option. I also thought of the Ridge from Monchhutte, Eigerjoch as ascent route. Maybe this would have been a better idea, or has the waether affected this route to, I wonder?
Thanks
jOHN

mountainmanjohn

Thanks for that too

by mountainmanjohn » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:27 pm

I meant it may be better for me to concider the route from the South and North Eigerjochs up the ridge from there. Supposed to be good. But yes of course the Mit' looks great. I just havent got alot of confidence about going there yet. Done some fantastic ridges, but none at that height. I dont want to get guides, therefore the learning curve is alot slower and more cautious. Thanks, I'll have a think.

Return to Europe