Where to find fuel and supplies?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
sloggmeister

Where to find fuel and supplies?

by sloggmeister » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:32 am

I'm travelling down to Mexico to climb the "Trilogy"- Nevado de Toluca, Ixta, and Orizaba. I've decided to go with the Jetboil and pocket rocket for stoves, and need to know where I can buy fuel cannisters down there in Mexico. I was hoping to not have to go too far out of the way in order to re-supply. We'll need to pick some up after we get down from Nevado de Toluca- before Ixta. Unless we want to carry lots of cannisters from the beginning of the trip, we'll need to re-supply again before Orizaba.
I was hoping to avoid backtracking all the way to Mexico City.
Also: Where did you find the best places for re-supplying on food?

sloggmeister

by sloggmeister » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:27 am

pearson wrote:You can buy food in any supermarket. There's no problem with that. The stores are large, clean, well-lit, etc. They're basically the same as US supermarkets.

In Puebla:

I was in the shop below a few weeks ago so it is in business.
I went to another one near Zo'colo (the plaza) but I don't know
where it is. They both sell bottled gas.

Puebla, Mexico
AV Matamoros #7-a
Col La Paz c.p 72160

tel/fax 01-222-266-5982

e-mail: origensa@yahoo.com

Check the link below for places in DF and near Nevada de Toluca.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 63d69f4aad

That link was not found.
My main concern is whether fuel cannisters for the JetBoil will be obtainable without backtracking into a major city.

Stuart B

by Stuart B » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:08 pm

pearson wrote:In DF you could try:

Rubens (in the centre)
Vertimania (in Mixcoac - south of the centre)
Campaventura (in Coyoacan)

In Valle de Bravo (a good rnr stop after Nevada de Toluca) theres a neat little shop owned by some guy who climbed Everest (if he´s off guiding and his Ma´s looking after the store she´ll probably proudly show you the photos!)

The shop in Valle is really nice (though small) I reckon its a good bet for fuel if you wanna avoid DF.

In DF, be warned that Campaventura has pretty irregular opening hours - ring them first if you`re making a special trip.

Also it very cold in DF right now, there has been a fair bit of snow on the mountains...and rain. Ajusco was miserable last weekend...bear this in mind.

sloggmeister

by sloggmeister » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Stuart B wrote:
pearson wrote:In DF you could try:

Rubens (in the centre)
Vertimania (in Mixcoac - south of the centre)
Campaventura (in Coyoacan)

In Valle de Bravo (a good rnr stop after Nevada de Toluca) theres a neat little shop owned by some guy who climbed Everest (if he´s off guiding and his Ma´s looking after the store she´ll probably proudly show you the photos!)

The shop in Valle is really nice (though small) I reckon its a good bet for fuel if you wanna avoid DF.

In DF, be warned that Campaventura has pretty irregular opening hours - ring them first if you`re making a special trip.

Also it very cold in DF right now, there has been a fair bit of snow on the mountains...and rain. Ajusco was miserable last weekend...bear this in mind.

It sounds like Cascade weather. Fun fun fun.
What is "very cold"? What do you think the temp will be at the crater of Nevado de Toluca, and what would be the temp at the top?

Stuart B

by Stuart B » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:31 pm

[quote="sloggmeisterIt sounds like Cascade weather. Fun fun fun.
What is "very cold"? What do you think the temp will be at the crater of Nevado de Toluca, and what would be the temp at the top?[/quote]

Last week in the town of Toluca it dropped to minus 3c.

About the same in my part of DF.

Not that cold by most standards, but much colder than you would expect for this time of year....

Dave S

Fuel in Amecameca?

by Dave S » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:46 am

Is there any place to pick up fuel and fuel bottles in Amecameca? Or must I stop to get supplies prior to leaving Mexico City for Izta?

sloggmeister

Re: Fuel in Amecameca?

by sloggmeister » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 pm

canyon8 wrote:Is there any place to pick up fuel and fuel bottles in Amecameca? Or must I stop to get supplies prior to leaving Mexico City for Izta?

We didn't find any sporting goods stores in Amecameca. We also didn't look real hard since we already had 4 cannisters with us. The last cannister we picked up was in Mexico City. We went to a sporting goods store (waiting till 11AM for it to open) and bought the ONLY 1 cannister they had in the entire store.
If you do find a source for purchasing fuel cannisters in Amecameca, please let us know.

1mvertical

Sr. Reyes had fuel

by 1mvertical » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:56 pm

Believe it or not, Sr. Reyes in Tlachicuca had fuel - some sort of universal butane mix that worked well in my Jet Boil. We used his fuel at 16,400' in the cold and it performed pretty well at melting ice. I kept the canisters in my sleeping bag at night to try and keep them warm.

The canisters were shaped like a shaving cream can, blue background, with various gas powered devices pictured on it. Perhaps these are in hardware stores(not that I saw one)?? It also indicate it contained isobutane. I only mention it because they may be easier to find that true camping fuel.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean