Crete

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Rick B

Crete

by Rick B » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:23 pm

In less than two weeks I'll be going to Heraklion, Crete, for a summer school in physics. I will have one full day for a hike, and perhaps some afternoons.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I could do in a day from Heraklion? I don't have a car, so I'd need a bus to the trailhead and back again in the evening.
From the SP pages Psiloritis looks nice, but the hike might be a bit too long for a day with the bus trips included. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Crete

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:58 pm

Rick B wrote:In less than two weeks I'll be going to Heraklion, Crete, for a summer school in physics. I will have one full day for a hike, and perhaps some afternoons.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I could do in a day from Heraklion? I don't have a car, so I'd need a bus to the trailhead and back again in the evening.
From the SP pages Psiloritis looks nice, but the hike might be a bit too long for a day with the bus trips included. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hmm, I've been there in May - Psiloritis certainly is a good idea though I'm not sure how far a bus would get you. If you're lucky to Analipsis, where the regular trailhead is, but more probably only to Anogia. In which case you would have to climb almost 2000m in elevation.

Gristi would be a good alternative. The mountain is 1779m high and is located at the eastern end of the Ida mountain range, of which Psiloritis is the (main) part. According to my guidebook it is 6.5h from Ano Asites, though there is a direct shortcut, sparing about a third of the route. At least for descending this could be an alternative. Ano Asites is located south of Heraklion. We wanted to climb the mountain but on that day it was pouring c&ds.

Then there is the Kouloukonas range to the west of Heraklion. The guidebook suggests Koutsotroulis (1083m) from Apladiana but also says that it's not a good idea on a hot summer day.

And of course you could go to the beach and watch the bunnies...

Rick B

by Rick B » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:Gristi would be a good alternative. The mountain is 1779m high and is located at the eastern end of the Ida mountain range, of which Psiloritis is the (main) part. According to my guidebook it is 6.5h from Ano Asites, though there is a direct shortcut, sparing about a third of the route. At least for descending this could be an alternative. Ano Asites is located south of Heraklion. We wanted to climb the mountain but on that day it was pouring c&ds.

6.5h return trip? This sounds good.. I'll have to find out whether Ano Asites is reachable by bus..

Gangolf Haub wrote:Then there is the Kouloukonas range to the west of Heraklion. The guidebook suggests Koutsotroulis (1083m) from Apladiana but also says that it's not a good idea on a hot summer day.

Yes I already gathered from your Crete page that this range would be a good region, but I lacked detail about particular summits / trailheads. Which guidebook are you using? I'm raiding the local book- and map store tomorrow :)

Gangolf Haub wrote:And of course you could go to the beach and watch the bunnies...

Maybe some other time :wink:

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Rick B wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:Gristi would be a good alternative. The mountain is 1779m high and is located at the eastern end of the Ida mountain range, of which Psiloritis is the (main) part. According to my guidebook it is 6.5h from Ano Asites, though there is a direct shortcut, sparing about a third of the route. At least for descending this could be an alternative. Ano Asites is located south of Heraklion. We wanted to climb the mountain but on that day it was pouring c&ds.

6.5h return trip? This sounds good.. I'll have to find out whether Ano Asites is reachable by bus..

Gangolf Haub wrote:Then there is the Kouloukonas range to the west of Heraklion. The guidebook suggests Koutsotroulis (1083m) from Apladiana but also says that it's not a good idea on a hot summer day.

Yes I already gathered from your Crete page that this range would be a good region, but I lacked detail about particular summits / trailheads. Which guidebook are you using? I'm raiding the local book- and map store tomorrow :)

Gangolf Haub wrote:And of course you could go to the beach and watch the bunnies...

Maybe some other time :wink:

Sorry I missed your answer. The Book is here Crete West is the one you want

Rick B

by Rick B » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:50 am

Unfortunately I could not get my hands on the book before leaving for Crete (I'm there now). It's crazy hot here btw, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull off a long hike.

Is the Gristi trip 6.5 hours return or is it just one way?

Thanks for all the help!

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Rick B wrote:Unfortunately I could not get my hands on the book before leaving for Crete (I'm there now). It's crazy hot here btw, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull off a long hike.

Is the Gristi trip 6.5 hours return or is it just one way?

Thanks for all the help!

The return ticket is 6 1/2h - and you might be able to cut short a long loop during descent. But if it's hot - you better stay at the pool. You probably won't find much shade up there and no water.

Rick B

by Rick B » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:59 pm

Back from Crete! In the end found a friend to hire a car with and we climbed Psiloritis... more or less :) Sure beats lying at the beach!

Will add some photos and perhaps a trip report if I find the time..

Return to Europe