My Daughter's take on Spaniards...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Nanuls

Re: ****

by Nanuls » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:17 pm

Nigel Lewis wrote:
Nanuls wrote:Yn bendant Nigel

Gwar Coch??

N

Na dim ond cytino gyda ti oeddwn i.

:idea: Hey perhaps we should start a Welsh team, I don't mind it being tainted by English.

Nigel Lewis

by Nigel Lewis » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:32 pm

Nanuls wrote: :idea: Hey perhaps we should start a Welsh team, I don't mind it being tainted by English.

Or by American English (English with the hard bits removed). But I'd use enriched rather than tainted, as I love cultural and etymological differences. If I wanted everything to be the same, I'd stay at home!!

N

Rick B

by Rick B » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:55 am

cp0915 wrote:"On second thoughts, maybe Spain (and Europe in general) has very little - at least that is worthwhile - to teach N Americans."

So it appears to me.

Some modesty and politeness perhaps ... ?

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:15 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:This is what happened in Spanish Team. Dow, you turned mad when saying bastards, I only had said that you should have written in Spanish in that thread. Anyway I accepted your excuses then and now I don't see any reason to restart arguing:

Dow Williams wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:In Spanish Dow, gracias

Sorry, did I mess up your rules/thread? I only type (and climb) in English mate. Your government is actually paying my daughter to come over and teach even more English to your fellow countryman. Bastards!

Cultural "American" lesson for you Diego...we have a show called "Southpark" that has swept our culture, and I mean deep into our culture, some time ago. My wife and I call each other bastard on a daily basis......Courtney, Peter....tons of Sp'ers will tell you that I call them all Bastards, quite frequently....actually means I like you....there, good or bad, whether you agree or not, you learned something on SP!

Nigel Lewis

Eye of the beholder

by Nigel Lewis » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:46 am

Dow Williams wrote:Cultural "American" lesson for you Diego...we have a show called "Southpark" that has swept our culture, and I mean deep into our culture, some time ago. My wife and I call each other bastard on a daily basis......Courtney, Peter....tons of Sp'ers will tell you that I call them all Bastards, quite frequently....actually means I like you....there, good or bad, whether you agree or not, you learned something on SP!

Quick lesson for you, Dow.
It isn't neccesarily what you mean that causes offence, but the perception of the beholder.

Has 'Southpark' swept Spain yet? If it hasn't had the same affect, then Diego couldn't have known where you were coming from and was likely to be offended.

That's one of the issues with a cross cultural exchange. Either party may need to adapt their behaviour to avoid causing offence.

Good or bad, you learned something on SP! (Sounds a bit condescending, but as you've used it, I guess that culturally it's okay!)

Hope you don't mind me joining the debate, it's just as a Euro, I can see how some of us might feel a little slighted by the tone of the thread. I'm sure nobody set out to offend me though, you old bastards!

N

nikolai79

by nikolai79 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 am

Dow Williams wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:This is what happened in Spanish Team. Dow, you turned mad when saying bastards, I only had said that you should have written in Spanish in that thread. Anyway I accepted your excuses then and now I don't see any reason to restart arguing:

Dow Williams wrote:

Sorry, did I mess up your rules/thread? I only type (and climb) in English mate. Your government is actually paying my daughter to come over and teach even more English to your fellow countryman. Bastards!

Cultural "American" lesson for you Diego...we have a show called "Southpark" that has swept our culture, and I mean deep into our culture, some time ago. My wife and I call each other bastard on a daily basis......Courtney, Peter....tons of Sp'ers will tell you that I call them all Bastards, quite frequently....actually means I like you....there, good or bad, whether you agree or not, you learned something on SP!

Hi Dow,

We do know South Park in Spain.
The problem is the word "bastard" has a latin root, I mean it´s a word the roman created, so we can understand it inmediatelly...

The use of this kind of term has the risk of being interpretated as an offence... noone of Spanish Team was thinking on South Park when we read your words.

OK, why don´t we start again? Let´s talk about mountains... we´re not politicians, we don´t need to argue.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Dow Williams wrote:

Dow Williams wrote:

No problem Dow, we'll try to help you, now I have to go to work.

Buenas tardes :wink:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:53 pm

nikolai79 wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:

Dow Williams wrote:

Hi Dow,

We do know South Park in Spain.
The problem is the word "bastard" has a latin root, I mean it´s a word the roman created, so we can understand it inmediatelly...

The use of this kind of term has the risk of being interpretated as an offence... noone of Spanish Team was thinking on South Park when we read your words.

OK, why don´t we start again? Let´s talk about mountains... we´re not politicians, we don´t need to argue.

Really I wasn't thinking on South Park when reading Dow's comment. Anyway, now I know he wasn't insulting us neither our government, what I don't mind at all.

As Enrique I prefer to talk about topics out of politics, religion... Gracias to both fellow SPers

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Southpark has permeated our culture quite profoundly, including the word "bastard"...but I will be honest here....many a store clerk look at my wife and I funny as we call each other "bastard"...we no doubt have taken it to a new level...the show was a real ice breaker with my employees when I owned a business...they would send me Cartman paraphernalia, etc. It was a nice distraction from an otherwise stressful business....they introduced me to it so I humored them...next thing you know I was quite hooked...but can't watch it anymore, too much of a good thing I guess

My daughter and her husband are settled in Sevilla (I will warn her about the word Bastard, but I am sure she could have already lectured me on that) and climbing, but thanks....I look for a visit in Feb....but would also like to explore Morocco. Have a lot going on, so we will see...cheers

Andino

by Andino » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Dow Williams wrote:My daughter and her husband are settled in Sevilla (I will warn her about the word Bastard, but I am sure she could have already lectured me on that) and climbing, but thanks....I look for a visit in Feb....but would also like to explore Morocco. Have a lot going on, so we will see...cheers

If your daughter then goes from Spain to South America, let her know that "coger" (to take) is very much used in Spain, but has a strong sexual connotation in South America :wink:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:00 pm

Yep :lol: BTW Dow, bastard is bastardo here.

I don't know about their public transport but here you have the best crags in Spain:

http://www.escuelasdeescalada.com/ingles/portada_i.php

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:39 pm

Not all of us Norteamericanos are affected by 'Southpark,' whatever that is, and plenty of us would be offended by being called bastards. But then, hell, I don't even know what 'beta' is (whats wrong with 'info'?) and would never dream of saying 'my bad' or 'cheers,' (it's hard to get us old farts to change) so maybe I sholdn't be taken too seriously.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:13 pm

I know it Buz, anyway thanks for your comment

Previous

Return to Europe