February 09' Nepal - Advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Scott Dusek

February 09' Nepal - Advice

by Scott Dusek » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:33 pm

SP'ers,

I'll be in Nepal February of '09, I will be there as short as 2 weeks or as long as a month. I'm interested in doing a very aesthetic trek, and a trekking peak or two with spectacular views.

What would be the best bang for my buck (time?). I don't have a large budget, and if I need partners I would have to meet them while there.

Suggestions? I'll be coming from doing similar activities in India so there's a good chance I'd already be fairly well acclimated.

-Scotty

Nelson

by Nelson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:50 pm

February is generally considered a bit early for one of the trekking peaks, but so be it if that's when your going to be there.

I'd take a look at the Langtang Region, which has road access from Kathmandu and excellent trekking at lower altitudes (~12-14,000'), in case snow is still blocking higher routes. For peak options you have Yala, and the more difficult Naya Kanga:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... /yala.html
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... kanga.html

The scenery is excellent:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... go-ri.html
http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=101891
http://www.summitpost.org/image/101964/ ... irung.html

Scott Dusek

by Scott Dusek » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:47 pm

Nelson,

Thanks for your info! (for both threads)...

Should I take less time in India and add it to Nepal (in your opinion?). I suppose I could also subtract some time from Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia to achieve the same goal as well.

What would you do?

-Scotty

Nelson

by Nelson » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:24 pm

[]
Last edited by Nelson on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panday

Hello Namaste from Nepal

by panday » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:09 am

Thank you so much for your interest in Nepal. I am trekking and tour operator from Nepal and organize trekking, camping trek, tours, peak climbing, rafting, jungle safari, mountain biking, air ticketing and may more adventures activities. we will organize any sort of trek concerning customer total days and interest. If you need any information regarding your trekking, peak climbing or any adventures activities in Nepal then please feel free to share me information i always with you.

cheers
panday

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:21 am

Duseks wrote:Nelson,

Thanks for your info! (for both threads)...

Should I take less time in India and add it to Nepal (in your opinion?). I suppose I could also subtract some time from Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia to achieve the same goal as well.

What would you do?

-Scotty

You're not going to Indonesia, Malaysia or Burma? SEA is very addictive. Almost as much as climbing.

Scott Dusek

by Scott Dusek » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

MichaelJ,

First of all, thanks for your advice - believe me I'm listening.

Bhurma, Malaysia, and Indonesia...

Seasonally speaking I don't think there's a lot of penalty for me "overstaying" in Asia, all that's really left after that is Australia, maybe NZ, and some yet undecided island in Polynesia.

I specifically haven't penciled in B, M or I for various "armchair safety concerns". I'd love to do Borneo, Malaysia is a definite possibility - I'll see when I get there. I'd really really love to dive Indonesia - but again I have some concerns about going to the largest muslim country in the world (by population), figured I'd decide that one on the road as well. I don't know much about Bhurma - but I'm sure there's more than enough fun to be had there.

So I'll pose this question to you. If you were 25 yr old brown haired blue (green) eyed 6'0 tall, fairly skinny, going solo, obviously American young fellow on your first trip to Asia - would you go to those places?

Above anywhere else in the entire world or on my trip itinerary there's a place I'd love to go - Pakistan... thoughts? Cause I've got some serious reservations about going to "the most destablized region in the world today".

-Scotty

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:42 pm

I know tall blond girls who've gone to these places solo...

ANY place in SEA will seem like Switzerland after India, including Cambodia and Burma, two of the poorest and most oppressive countries in the world, but my are the people nice.

In general I'd be surprised if you had any problems in the Muslim parts of SEA and if you follow the Lonely Planet circuit in any given country you'll have lots of traveler company, more than you might want if you actually want to see other cultures. That said, groups of westerners do make targets for terrorists. But then again, the NY subway, etc., are also big targets. Travel, like climbing, comes down to your individual philosophy of how much risk you'll willing to assume. Personally, I think traffic accidents are more of a danger than visiting any of these places.

As for specific recommendations, Bali is not Muslim (actually it seems like an Aussie colony) although it was the target of bombers who targeted tourists in 2002. Easy to get to from any major airport in SEA. A lot of people really love Bali. Personally, I wasn't so smitten, but you could still use it as a starting or ending point on a jaunt to Java, which I really loved.

Yogyakarta is the cultural capital of Java, near the great ruins of Borobudur and close to good volcano climbing (although Bromo may be closed to climbing these days).

Borneo has excellent jungle trekking, diving and one of the biggest and easiest peaks in SEA to climb.

Bagan and Inlay Lake in Burma are both amazing but there's a big debate over how much tourist money props up the horrible government vs. helps the locals. Something to think about.

dmiki

by dmiki » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:05 pm

I was going to suggest the Langtang region if you only have two weeks, but see that Nelson has already done so :-) You can reach the area in one day by bus from Kathmandu.

You can do Yala on your own, no guide needed (hopefully this will be true for February '09, I was there Dec/Jan). For Naya Kanga I would probably go with a partner/guide.

If you have a full month, I would recommend the Annapurna circuit + the Annapurna Sanctuary/Base Camp - I found the scenery and people changed a lot. There are quite a few trekking peaks along this route, you can choose one or more according to your skill level. But of course the Thorung-La (~5400 m) could be blocked by snow.

I would probably go to Burma. I would probably go to Pakistan (especially Baltistan) (by the time you get there, Bhutto/Sharif will probably be in power...). (I have not been to either of these two, so just my 2c.)

Return to Asia