Trans-alpining in Zillertal/Otzal/Stubai Alps July 2008

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Goof

Trans-alpining in Zillertal/Otzal/Stubai Alps July 2008

by Goof » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:46 pm

Im looking at a trip of 7-10 days in the above ranges.

Will be packing glacier gear and probably camping kit (but will utilise huts too) and will be looking to not be in the busiest valleys.

Party of four will be interested in higher passes/cols, glacier travel, and not too many crowds.

Im looking to get some 1:50000 topographical maps to help with the planning. And even one or two guidebooks. I'm a Kiwi living in Scotland and haven't had much joy finding good reference stuff in high street stores. Can anyone provide me with good websites?

This is a trip to get the body back in shape before heading to Switzerland for a bit of climbing. Back in NZ our group heads out on at least two strenuous 10 day trips a year (usually about 8-10 hours trekking/tramping per day) so we're looking to pick that up again here in the Alps.

Thanks,

G

Koen

Kudos to all Kiwis

by Koen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:59 am

Here's some info:

have you checked out cicerone? They have some guidebooks for tramping in those regions.

Also there's the site of Austrianmap that has online maps scale 1:50.000. Also in the webshop of the Austrian Alpine club (Oestereichischer Alpenverein) here you can order good maps (most 1:25.000).

Another interesting site might be the British branch of the OeAV: here (shop).

Other providers of maps/guides for there are Kompass and Freytag & Berndt.

You can also find alpine guidebooks (fuhrer) and maps (karte) on the site of the German Alpine Club.

I'm sure you could order any of these guides/maps through a travelbookstore where you live.

Of course, there's also plenty of info right here on SP!

Happy tramping!

Return to Europe