Options for stashing gear in Bangkok?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
grabujosmi

by grabujosmi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:31 am

I'm heading to Nepal in a few days and will be spending around just over a week in S Thailand on my way home. I don't want to travel around to Krabi etc. with a giant duffel/85 liter pack and am looking for options to (safely) stash my non-holiday gear in Bangkok for a week or so. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think my travel agent gets just how much stuff I'll have, I can't confirm if BKK has lockers...

Grant

AndrewSmyth

by AndrewSmyth » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 am

I havent been to Bangkok since before 9/11, but there used to be a place in the terminal (outside of customs) where you could store luggage for no more that about 5USD per day. I used it as I was hopping between countries at the time and it was excellent.

They may have closed this since to tighten up security however if it is still there it would be ideal.

Google search Bangkok airport and then look for facilities at the airport. Another option would be to get a cheap hotel for 1 night and then ask the hotel to store your luggage for a small fee.
Last edited by AndrewSmyth on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelJ

by MichaelJ » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:51 pm

BKK has a brand new international airport. I'm pretty sure it must have left luggage storage (the old airport's was still operating after 9/11). Another option is just not to claim your pack when you when arrive and ask for it when you return a week later...

BigLee

by BigLee » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Just leave it at a guesthouse in Bangkok if you're staying at one. All the budget Khao San places I've stayed at had a storage room or lockers. They might charge a little but it won't break the bank.

sus182

by sus182 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:31 am

Bangkok international airport still has a place where you can leave luggage, (left mine there in '06), but not sure if you can leave it longer than 24hrs.

grabujosmi

by grabujosmi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:56 pm

Update - Chubb security offers bag storage (in BKK). It's 50 baht for the first 12 hours and 100 per day. I had a 140 liter, 100 lbs + duffel bag and it wasn't an issue)

Return to Asia