Hiking novice/intermediate around Ortler Group

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
6000ultralongsight

Hiking novice/intermediate around Ortler Group

by 6000ultralongsight » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:21 pm

I would be grateful if somebody could recommend a good base for, or comment upon, hiking around the Ortler Group mid June up to about 3200m, wether and conditions permitting. I am a non-driver, so would rely on local public transport, and would 99% prefer hotel to huts. I would be in the area long enough to be able to say "I've been", so about 10 to 20 days.
I've enjoyed Obergurgl, Tignes, Ginzling (near Mayrhofen), Telfes, Val di Rhemes.
I prefer mid June as it is quieter, cheaper, and walking hours are longer, but might change to early September if average snow conditions look like restricting walking to below about 2600m

:)

no avatar
Claude Mauguier

Re: Hiking novice/intermediate around Ortler Group

by Claude Mauguier » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:10 pm

6000ultralongsight wrote:mid June up to about 3200m, wether and conditions permitting. I am a non-driver, so would rely on local public transport, and would 99% prefer hotel to huts. I would be in the area long enough to be able to say "I've been", so about 10 to 20 days.

Considering these criteria I would propose, by order of decreasing interest :
1 - Santa Caterina Valfurva (or Bormio). Access with train up to Tirano (from Milano or Brescia), then local bus/coach lines. One among the very best spots to visit the area.
2 - Pejo. By train up to Trento, then rail narrow gauge line to Malè (or Dimaro if works are completed...?), then local bus/coach to Pejo.
3 - More complicated to reach (there might be some progress I'm not aware about) : Any place in Val Martello (Martlell Tal), train up to Merano, then bus/coach.

Koen

Ortler

by Koen » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:56 am

If you would reconsider to stay in huts, you could do this: with public transport from Merano up Val Martello (Marteltal) to the end of the valley. Then on foot to rif. Nino Corsi. From there over Madritschjoch to Schaubachhuttte or Tabarettahutte.

Then up early the next morning to climb up to the Payerhutte for the sunset and splendid views towards Ortler. You can then descend to Sulden.

I mention this because I've done this a number of times in the past. I'm sure there're many variations on this hike. Problem with hiking in Stelvio NP is that it is harder to link several huts without having to cross glaciers or alpine sections.

Since you would be staying in hotels, I can recommend staying in Val Martello. Very quiet not so many tourists as around Sulden and a lot of nice hiking (e.g. climb up to Laaser Spitze). Payer hutte has one of the more spectacular locations of the whole alps (I think) and I would especially recommend a visit there, if anything.

6000ultralongsight

Re: Hiking novice/intermediate around Ortler Group

by 6000ultralongsight » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:23 pm

Claude Mauguier wrote:
6000ultralongsight wrote:mid June up to about 3200m, wether and conditions permitting. I am a non-driver, so would rely on local public transport, and would 99% prefer hotel to huts. I would be in the area long enough to be able to say "I've been", so about 10 to 20 days.

Considering these criteria I would propose, by order of decreasing interest :
1 - Santa Caterina Valfurva (or Bormio). Access with train up to Tirano (from Milano or Brescia), then local bus/coach lines. One among the very best spots to visit the area.
2 - Pejo. By train up to Trento, then rail narrow gauge line to Malè (or Dimaro if works are completed...?), then local bus/coach to Pejo.
3 - More complicated to reach (there might be some progress I'm not aware about) : Any place in Val Martello (Martlell Tal), train up to Merano, then bus/coach.

Thanks for this reply. I had considered Santa Caterina Valfurva, and Bormio. I'll look up Pejo and Val Martello on a Michelin and then do some further research.
Nice early snow in the Alps (unless you are mountain rescue).
Cheers, Ultra. :)
Last edited by 6000ultralongsight on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

6000ultralongsight

Re: Ortler

by 6000ultralongsight » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:28 pm

Koen wrote:If you would reconsider to stay in huts, you could do this: with public transport from Merano up Val Martello (Marteltal) to the end of the valley. Then on foot to rif. Nino Corsi. From there over Madritschjoch to Schaubachhuttte or Tabarettahutte.

Since you would be staying in hotels, I can recommend staying in Val Martello. Very quiet not so many tourists as around Sulden and a lot of nice hiking (e.g. climb up to Laaser Spitze). Payer hutte has one of the more spectacular locations of the whole alps (I think) and I would especially recommend a visit there, if anything.

Hello Koen, thanks for your reply.
My equipment won't stretch to glaciers, much as I would like it to, but I have seen photos of Payerhutte on SP, and it looks well worth a visit. Val Martello has your vote and Claude Mauguier too.
If the huts aren't too busy, I might give one or two a go. Not keen on shared dormitories, prefer luxury.
Cheers. :)

reinhard2

Re: Ortler

by reinhard2 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:36 pm

6000ultralongsight wrote:Not keen on shared dormitories, prefer luxury.Cheers. :)

There should be 2-bed-rooms on huts, too. Reserve early.

Koen

Marteller hutte

by Koen » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Forgot to mention the Marteller Hutte. It is situated at the end of the Val Martello above the Rif. Nino Corsi. Link here.

I visited this hut in march and it's very modern and comfortable (even the winterraum had electric heating).

No private rooms I believe.

Happy hiking!
Koen

Return to Europe