Backpacking Yucatan

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
ExploretheWorld

Backpacking Yucatan

by ExploretheWorld » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 am

Okay, for starters, I've heard different pronounciations over the years; my entire life I've referred to it, such as, "You-Ka-Tan", what I always thought was the correct pronounciation. However recently, my geology professor, who in my mind is a genius, pronounces it "Yuck-A-Tan" now I am not saying he's wrong, but what say you, summitpost?

Anyways, let us get to the point. For as long as I can remember I've had an irresistable fascination to this area, first traveling to Cozumel when I was seven, so my brother, who was twelve at the time could get certified in scuba diving. Probably one of the youngest people ever to get certified there. I remember the approach to Cozumel Airport, seeing the dense jungle and wondering if I'd ever get a chance to roam it. So happens, that I'd have the good fortune to return to the Yucatan two more times. It was a while before I returned again though, in the year 2000, as a freshman in highschool so my other brother and I could get certified. We did some epic dives that trip I remember. My favorite being the Santa Rosa Wall. This is where I came face-to-face with a barracuda at 105 ft. on my second ever dive. Later, in 2003, I returned with just my mother to Playa Del Carmen, south of Cancun. This is when I got the bug (no, not Montazuma's revenege) and felt continually a great connection to the Yucatan.

One of the absolute coolest thing's I've ever done in my entire life was scuba diving in Cenotes in the middle of the jungle. They are freshwater limestone sinkholes, and have little or no life in them, but contain awesome Karst formations. These provided the Mayan civilization with their fresh drinking water. My mother and I went to Tulum to see the ruins and I really felt like I should have been have just wandered away from the tour, my existence, and remained on that beach there.

So getting to the Subject, what are the possibilities for backing in the Yucatan Jungle? Is it relatively safe? I imagine there are plenty of trails, old Mayan trails, et cetera, or one may just follow the beach? Are there regulations? Would the federales mess with you? I suppose one could just pay them off, like always...How about dangers? I know there are some serious feline prowlers, are there ruthless Jungle dwellers too who would mess with a solo backpacker? Any information would be very helpful along with stories or experiences.

Thank you

Nick

Haliku

Re: Backpacking Yucatan

by Haliku » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:55 pm

ExploretheWorld wrote:So getting to the Subject, what are the possibilities for backing in the Yucatan Jungle? Is it relatively safe? I imagine there are plenty of trails, old Mayan trails, et cetera, or one may just follow the beach? Are there regulations? Would the federales mess with you? I suppose one could just pay them off, like always...How about dangers? I know there are some serious feline prowlers, are there ruthless Jungle dwellers too who would mess with a solo backpacker?

For starters see this site for the 'proper' way to pronounce it.

There are trails but no real organized trail system similar to the US. If you want to wander around the Yucatan use the bus system (easy and cheap), get a rental car or consider the Green Tortoise travel or a similar option. If you speak Spanish getting around the region will be easier. Without jungle experience traveling through it on your own will get you lost and possibly eaten (bugs, snakes, etc)...could be a problem. Cheers!

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean