popo

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
rcclimbhigher

popo

by rcclimbhigher » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:39 am

has anyone climbed popo lately? or heard of onyone who has? I am considering a climb and wonder about a route from the west or a traverse below the crater that allows one to summit from the west. any gas reports other than the standard volcano gases?

Blackmouth

by Blackmouth » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:55 am

Popo has been off limits since 1994. I was told the closest that you can get to Popo is 8 km away. I was on Ixta last week and Popo was blowing off pretty consistently throughout the day. Nothing major just a burb here and there, but still very active.

TripoliRick

Popo

by TripoliRick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:06 am

I've been up Popo in the pre-eruption '80s but have been on other active volcanoes both as a geologist and purely as a climber with an interest in volcanoes. Was stopped by the authorites prior to a summit try right before Mt St Helens May 18th eruption.
Don't mess with active volcanoes during eruption periods. Besides risking your self you risk those who would be sent out to save your butt if still alive. If you really want the eruption experience, get a geology degree and work in the field. And you can still do Ixta and Orizaba and enjoy the view of Popo from those.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean