Western Mongolia--Trekking and Such

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
cluke

Western Mongolia--Trekking and Such

by cluke » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:01 pm

Howdy. Has anyone out there been backpacking, camping, mountaineering, rafting, or trekking in Western Mongolia? I've dug through Lonely Planet's Mongolia, dug around this site, and done some general internet surfing...but I'm coming up with pretty scant info.

If you've been exploring in Western Mongolia, could you please help me out? We're headed there for about three weeks this summer, and from what we've read western Mongolia seems to be an unexplored outdoor playground. We're two teachers on a tight budget, seasoned travelers, and outdoor enthusiasts. In other words, we're looking for a cheap(ish) way to get from Ulaanbatar (we're Trans-Siberian/Mongolian Railroading it from Beijing to Ul.) to the western region, and we'd like to head straight into the mountains once hoping off the train.

Thanks in advance!! Cheers.

pijiu

Backcountry skiing in western Mongolia

by pijiu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Check out this page about backcountry skiing in western Mongolia: http://alpen.sac-cas.ch/html_f/archiv/2 ... _01_11.pdf
It's from the Swiss Alpine Club magazine and in French, but even if you don't read French there are good photos and some good infos about access.

Have fun and write a trip report when you're back!

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:58 pm

Send SP member Chewbacca a PM. He knows Mongolia quite a bit.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:20 am

I was there in 1995, so I can't offer info even vaguely up to date. I was in Zavkhan aimag, and it was lovely country, and not quite as far west as Uvs, Hovd and Olgii. We rode on a decrepit bus out of Uliastai (heading northeast, I think) and basecamped at a "resort", a few cabins and a dining hall with some very welcome hot springs. From there we circumnavigated Otgon Tenger, a substantial mountain, and it was excellent, very much like western Montana 150 years ago. Everyone we met was extremely friendly. We then rode north over a pass and rafted down the Ider Gol (class I-II) to Tosontsengel, and flew back to UB.

I've also heard that Arkhangai is very nice country, again not too far west. I've also heard it may have some good rafting. The Ider Gol was pretty dull as a river (great fishing, though!), but it was awesome floating through country where most people had literally never seen a boat. Though I suspect the Mongols' most common reaction to us was, "Why don't you ride horses like sane people?"

One more option might be Hovsgol, which is allegedly more a Siberian taiga kind of landscape. I think lots of tourists are going there these days, but Lake Hovsgol sounds amazing, and this aimag boasts the Tsataan reindeer herders. Here's a winter account: http://ulaanainmongolia.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-doesnt-kill-you-makes-you-stronger.html

My biggest piece of advice: bring lots of hot sauce! It makes the boiled mutton fat go down much easier. Also, marmot, if you're offered any is pretty good, much better than the sheep. Fishing is fantastic; if you have gear you can eat pretty well. Mongol yoghurt is also one of the best things going. And if you speak any Russian, you will find it very handy. Lots of people want to learn English, but they all studied Russian in the Communist days, and a little bit should get you by most anywhere.

Good luck, I'm envious. I'd go back in a hot second!

Return to Asia