La Ramada / Mercedario questions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
gert

La Ramada / Mercedario questions

by gert » Sat May 10, 2008 8:17 pm

In the next season I plan to go to this area. The rough idea is to enter the Valle Colorado heading for Alma Negra / La Mesa and La Ramada then crossing via Paso Ancho for the normal route of Mercedario and walking out via Los Molles.
- is the road out of Los Molles already passable?, and if the road is good again is Los Molles a good pick up point or should I count on hiking all the way to Casa Amerilla?
- is Paso Ancho the only option to reach the normal route of Mercedario from Valle de Colorado?
- anybody knows where to order the AIGM sheets for this area or are those maps not much usefull?
Any advise is highly appreciated + thanx for taking your time!
Gert

colint

by colint » Sat May 10, 2008 9:15 pm

I would suggest emailing Anibal Maturano at Don Mercedario Expeditions. Does not sound like you want a guide, but he knows the area better than anyone. We did not have maps when we went and it really was not a problem finding our way around Valle Colorado. The summitpost page information is good enough to get around.

hikerman99

by hikerman99 » Sun May 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Yes, check with Anibal, or with Corax who did the same combination you are planning a few years ago. Corax has a trip report saying Paso Ancho was tricky because of loose scree. The road is open to El Molle and even beyond to the lake closer to Mercedario. I was just on it in December. See the Mercedario mountain page. I can send you maps (hand drawn) and GPS points.

Bob

Corax

by Corax » Sun May 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Here's the trip report.
Not only because of loose scree. If rainy/wet, there's big risk for rock slides.
I think you have an excellent plan Gert :D

gert

by gert » Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Thank you all so far!
Bob, I sent you a PM with my email - would be nice to receive your GPS points.
I will probably contact Don Mercedario Expeditions and organize the mules for the way in with them. I just want to figure out as much as I can befor - it is always fun to create a new plan. There is a lot of usefull info on summitpost.
A nice trip report and beautiful pictures, Corax!
Gert

Return to South America