Studying abroad in New Zealand(medically related)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
wetsponge007

Studying abroad in New Zealand(medically related)

by wetsponge007 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:27 pm

This post is for myself and my girlfriend, more so for her. She is currently in medical school and has an opportunity to study abroad anywhere in the world and was thinking of New Zealand. She has to go for a minimum of 3 weeks and probably should stay near a bigger city. I'm going to be going with her for those 3 or so weeks and I like to bodyboard and hike and thought while she is doing her work(20 hours a week) I can go and do my own thing. The months she would be going would be from mid May to the first week of August. I would love to go and do some climbs, but I know these months are the winter months and don't know how safe or even if it's possible to climb in New Zealand at that time of the year? So basically I was just wondering if anyone could make recommendations for the best places for her studying(working at a hospital/clinic), and for surfing and climbing?

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:01 am

Chirstchurch is probably the best location. There is winter climbing in the Southern Alps. Empress Hut is a base for many long alpine ice climbs. And the ski touring in the area looks fantastic. Christchurch is also on the coast, so you could surf, although I don't know what that's like in winter.

gemma

by gemma » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:55 am

Hi, been in NZ only a week and a half, working as a technician at Auckland city hospital... it is great. I was a bit worried at first as Auckland seems a big city to get used to, but everyone is friendly and the work conditions are brilliant. I would definately recommend this hospital... I gather it is a teaching hospital too so could be good for the experience?! Hope it all works out... I know i feel very lucky to be in such a great country at this moment. I'm not missing in England yet put it that way!!!

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands