Accessibility of huts near Zermatt in november

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
KoenVl

Accessibility of huts near Zermatt in november

by KoenVl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:29 am

Hello,
I'm planning a 5-day hiking trip in Zermatt in november.
Me and some friends have the plan to go to some huts in the region like Schönbielhütte, Täschhütte, Rothornhütte or Domhütte.
Now I have never been to Wallis in early november before, so I would like to know somethings more about general weather conditions and the fact how easy or difficult it is to reach these huts (compared to summerconditions) due to snow etc.?

Thanks.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

Re: Accessibility of huts near Zermatt in november

by Flachlandtiroler » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 pm

KoenVl wrote:Schönbielhütte, Täschhütte, Rothornhütte or Domhütte.

Täschhütte should nearly always remain accesible as this is only a good one hour walk from the roadhead; except huge snowfalls with avalanche danger.
Schönbiehlhütte is far longer (esp. for a one day returntrip) but no technical difficulties.
With Rothornhütte the lower section through "Trift" may be threatened my avalanches if fresh snow has fallen in the slopes above and of course due to the altitude (3200m) the last section will probably be on snow or mixed terrain.
Domhütte even in summer is between hiking and (easy) ferrata, as a hiker I would not attempt it when fresh snow has fallen.

Hörnli-, Kin-, Weisshorn- and Monterosahütte weren't mentioned but also more on the expert side in that season. Fluhalp and Monterosahütte are subject to reconstruction.

Martin

KoenVl

by KoenVl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks for the information!
We will probably go for Täschhütte and Schönbielhütte (where we intend to stay for a night). As for Rothornhütte it might be better to wait and see how much snow had falling and what kind of weather it will be. With good weather and little snow it must be possible to reach the hut.
The other huts will probably be to hard to get to.

Koen

Return to Europe