Mendoza Cash, Money, and Credit Cards?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
scooter12ga

Mendoza Cash, Money, and Credit Cards?

by scooter12ga » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Some more last minute questions from the international travel noob!

1. Regarding the Santiago Chile $133 reciprocity fee: Do I need to pay this if I'm only passing through the airport? I only have a 4-hour layover before my flight departs for Mendoza.

I know I need to have quite a bit of US$ cash on hand while I'm on the mountain for basecamp luxuries, emergency evac, porters if needed, etc...

2. ...but what about in Mendoza? I've heard that most places take credit cards? How much cash should I plan to have on hand for those vendors that don't take credit?

3. For the places that only take cash, should I exchange money, withdraw from ATM, or just use US dollars?

4. I've heard that when using US$, small bills are preferred. What is small? Are we talking 10's, 20's, 50's, smaller than 10's?

Thanks again for all the advice. You guys have been great!

~Mike

William Marler

Re: Mendoza Cash, Money, and Credit Cards?

by William Marler » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:03 pm

[quote="scooter12ga"]Some more last minute questions from the international travel noob!

1. Regarding the Santiago Chile $133 reciprocity fee: Do I need to pay this if I'm only passing through the airport? I only have a 4-hour layover before my flight departs for Mendoza.

stay in transit and you dont have to pay.

scooter12ga

by scooter12ga » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Adventurer wrote:Hey Scooter12ga,

I just looked at a few of the pictures on your profile page and had a big laugh at the coincidence. Dr. Chase L. was my tentmate on Aconcagua for many days in Jan 07!!! He and I later climbed Whitney together in Oct 07.

It's a small world we live in, Sir.!!

Good Luck on the big "A"

Haha, no kidding! Chase is a great guy! It is amazing how small of a world it is.

scooter12ga

by scooter12ga » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:16 pm

What about the climbing permit? Cash only? Or is Visa ok for that?

~I'm trying to minimize the amount of cash I need to carry with me

no avatar
bande

by bande » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:03 am

scooter12ga wrote:What about the climbing permit? Cash only? Or is Visa ok for that?

~I'm trying to minimize the amount of cash I need to carry with me

I'm pretty sure that is cash only. You pay in one spot go to another with a receipt and then back to the permit office with another. We've always used cash for this.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:25 am

scooter12ga wrote:I'm trying to minimize the amount of cash I need to carry with me

Why, I took $7,600 with me and $4,000 of that went up to Camp 2.

It looks like many of the fine members here on SP have answered most of your questions but I can tell you this. The permit fee is cash only and paying in AR Pesos would be best. You can withdraw Pesos or US dollars from many of the ATMs in town. There are many money exchange offices in downtown Mendoza and most offer the same exchange rates (3.5 Pesos per US$ when we were there). Many vendors will give you a 10% discount for paying in cash but you have to ask for it. The food being offered at Plaza Argentina was limited in quantity and selection this year and prices were higher than I expected. Pizza was $30, beer $10 for a 500ml glass and omlettes $10. Small bills now mean $50 or less for smaller vendors but larger ones take $100s.

Have a great trip.

Return to South America