Iron Maiden and Climbing in Argentina...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
William Marler

by William Marler » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Just do some day hikes out of Penetentes. You wont get into trouble altitude wise and there are some great hikes in the area. Have fun either way. Cheers William

no avatar
bande

by bande » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:51 pm

We spent 6 days in an area called Vallecitos before heading to Aconcagua. The area is nice and has establish primitive camp sites at around 12,400' and 14,000. There are mountains that can be day climbed that range from 14,000-18,000. Mt Vallecitos even has a nice view of Aconcagua from the top looking across the valleys.

rickford

Re: Iron Maiden and Climbing in Argentina...

by rickford » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:47 pm

pagoda wrote:I'm considering a trip to the Quilmes Rock Festival (Buenos Aires) in late March to finally see Maiden. I'd love to mix in some trekking or climbing in Argentina. Aconcagua would be awesome, but I'm not sure I can devote the time needed. I can probably bust out 5-7 days, but if something is really worth while I might be able to squeeze a few more days out. Any trip or peak recommendations? I'd love to get above 14kft.

Yessss!!!

Dude, if you're going to an Iron Maiden Concert- then there should be no limits to your climbing aspirations- even if you only have a week. The concert should leave you thoroughly pumped for some serious adventure!

Do you think Bruce Dickenson would settle for a mere 14k peak????

I don't f'ing think so.....

RUN TO THE HILLS!!!!!

On a serious note, The main problem is that Buenos Aires a good distance from the mountians. Mendoza is a days' (or nights') drive away from B.A. And, don't even think about taking a bus to Patagonia if you only have a week!

Furthermore- many of the shorter peaks around Mendoza aren't really impressive, in my opinion. They are giant mounds of rubble and scree.

One good option would be a trek to the South Face of Aconcagua. You can do this in two or three days from Mendoza. This would allow time for taking buses to Mendoza- which will save you some money. Also, it may give you a couple of days to enjoy the city of Mendoza itself- or wherever.

Honestly though- as spectacualr as the mountains in Argentina are- it's the culture that will blow you away! I went there to climb Aconcagua. My return flight was three weeks later. Yet I stayed three months! I fell in love with the people....

You won't let any of us down (and certainly not yourself!) if you choose to hang out in BA for a few days after the concert. I think it is the greatest city in the world!!!!

Have fun! :D

colint

by colint » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:41 am

the valley of arenales is spectacular for hiking, rock climbing (especially rock climbing) and some mountaineering. It is not too high, nor too hard to reach. Take a bus to Tunuyan from BA, and find a guy to drive you to arenales in a good 4wd truck. there are refugios,but make sure to have a good sleeping bag.

Yeti

Re: Iron Maiden and Climbing in Argentina...

by Yeti » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:29 am

rickford wrote:
Dude, if you're going to an Iron Maiden Concert- then there should be no limits to your climbing aspirations- even if you only have a week. The concert should leave you thoroughly pumped for some serious adventure!
I disagree: If you can still function after a Maiden show, you weren't "there". :lol:

I have nothing to offer this thread but envy. :( Who's opening for them?

Return to South America