Alps--tent?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
chriss

Alps--tent?

by chriss » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:36 am

Going to the Alps in July/August for a couple of weeks. Considering taking a tent (Firstlight) and sleeping bag as a just in case of crowded huts. But have heard negatives of camping and don't what to carry them around if not used?
Maybe just the bag and bivy sack?
Was planning on taking the bivy regardless. Thoughts?

chris

(typos)

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:22 am

Depends very much on the region you plan to visit ( :?: ), e.g. in french nature reserves sometimes tents are only allowed next to the hut whereas in other conuntries' national parks camping is forbidden at all.
I wonder wheter overcrowded huts are the normal -- except some very highly frequented huts you nearly always will find place; a phonecall for reservation more and more becomes obligatory.

So if you look for tranquility and nature bring your tent; for going light it is dispensable.

Martin

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

Re: Alps--tent?

by Mihai Tanase » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:15 am

chriss wrote:Going to the Alps in July/August

OK, but where ? :?

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:02 am

Borut Kantuser wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:
chriss wrote:Going to the Alps in July/August

OK, but where ? :?

In his Plans and Partners info, chriss mentions Switzerland.

Je n'avais pas vu :wink:

no avatar
chriss

by chriss » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:24 pm

I was planning on the Valais region of Switzerland; Monte Rosa, etc. Perhaps over to Mont Blanc as well. Probably the most popular and crowded areas.

I have read there are issues with camping on Mont Blanc. I don't have an issue with staying in the huts if there's room. But I don't want to go and have problems with places to stay. Also, I don't want to carry gear around for 2 weeks that will not be used.

chris

Return to Europe