Aconcagua, from base camp to base camp

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Samuli Mansikka

Aconcagua, from base camp to base camp

by Samuli Mansikka » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:52 am

Hello!

Is there a trail from Plaza de Mules base camp to Plaza Argentina? That is in case of traversing the mountain by starting from Plaza Argentina and ending it on descending the normal route to the base camp of the normal route.

Thank You!

William Marler

Re: Aconcagua, from base camp to base camp

by William Marler » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:32 pm

Yes. You simply follow the route from Plaza Argentina to camp 1 then camp 2. Then follow the traverse across to where it meets up with the normal route. From here (you can follow the route up to Independencia then the summit) or descend to Berlin Camp on the normal route then down to Nido des Condores and on down to Plaza des Mules. There is a well beaten track unless snow covered.

Cheers William

Samuli Mansikka

by Samuli Mansikka » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:39 am

I ment that I would ascend the east face to the summit and then descend the normal route down to the Plaza de Mules base camp. From there I should get back to Plaza Argentina somehow to pick my stuff from the base camp.

Traversing the mountain is not the thing but circumnavigating the mountain from Plaza de Mules to Plaza Argentina.

William Marler

by William Marler » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:48 pm

No in that case you would have to retrace your steps traversing the mountain to Plaza Argentina. There is no other easy route. If all your extra gear would be at Plaza Argentina you could just arrange to have it carried out by mule after a radio confirmation to your mule provider.

But really there is no reason for you, after the summit, to descend to Plaza des Mules. After the East face, just return via the false Polish route to Plaza Argentina. Unless there is a special reason for you to go to Plaza des Mules.

Good luck in any case. Cheers William

Samuli Mansikka

by Samuli Mansikka » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:21 pm

"But really there is no reason for you, after the summit, to descend to Plaza des Mules. After the East face, just return via the false Polish route to Plaza Argentina. Unless there is a special reason for you to go to Plaza des Mules."

The thing is that I want to descend to the other side of the mountain to make it a complete traverse.

Well, I try to arrange it with the mule operator.

Thanks William!

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:04 am

You could hike from Plaza del Mulas to Plaza Francia then hop over the ridge to Plaza Argentina.

Samuli Mansikka

by Samuli Mansikka » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:10 am

Allright!! Do You happen to know if there is a trail? It is a long way so would like to make it to Plaza Argentina as fast as possible.

Thanks Alpinist!

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:00 am

YOU could do it, like Alpinist says.

Getting the mules over that way is another matter indeed.

Now, if you're willing to carry a buttload of gear (translation: heck of a lot ~ 40-50kg) it wouldn't be a problem.

Suerte!

William Marler

by William Marler » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:54 pm

Alpinist/Juh33. The route you mention. Plaza Argentina via Plaza Francia. There has been a lot of talk about it. But has anyone here completed this crossing? Or do we kow of anyone who has? I know Corax wrote about attempting it last year from Plaza Francia. But turned back due to group issues.

I took a look at it this year too see what Peak Freak and Corax were going to attempt back in December. Didn't like what I saw and was glad I did not have to do it. While it was possible I noted from the Plaza Argentina side. I do not know what it looks like from the Plaza Francia side. It did look like a very tough slog. With especially a lot of Penetentes this year. Especially if you were carrying a lot of gear. This mountain is tough enough I feel without adding extra challenges after you have expended a lot of energy. I suppose if you were really acclimitized to begin with the issue would be different.

But thats my over cautious 2 cents. (•:

Here is the col in juh33's excellent <a href=http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/photo_link.pl/p/photo_id__208168__object_id__11__type__mountain__mountain_id__11__route_id____user_id____order_by____limit__>Aconcagua</a> image. Its to the left in the Background.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:45 pm

Yeah, good point William. I was thinking that he wouldn't want to do it if the mules couldn't go - which I'm pretty sure they can't. Guy looks like he knows how to climb, so figured he wouldn't have a big problem. The mules, however...

Unless they could fit special crampons on the mules.

Congrats on your photo of the week by the way!

Tom Fralich

by Tom Fralich » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:11 pm

Samuli - I did exactly what you are describing in 2002. When you are ready to permanently leave basecamp at Plaza Argentina, pack up all your stuff and arrange for it to be taken out by mule. You may want to delay it by a few days though, just in case you have to return to Plaza Argentina for some reason. You don't want to come down in an emergency to find that all of your stuff has already been transported out. From experience though, I'm not sure that it is really worth the effort. I think it's better you just go back down to Plaza Argentina. The scree slope on the other side of the mountain isn't really that appealing.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:51 am

If you don't wish to spend the money on mules, then the route I mentioned is the best way, if you're up for it.

There is a trail from Plaza del Mulas to Plaza Francia, and a "route" (not sure about trail exactly) from Plaza Francia over the ridge to Plaza Argentina. The ridge is over 15,000' and steep. I've not hiked it, but I've seen it from a distance from near Plaza Francia. It looks passable on foot, but mules can not cross this way.

Here's a <A HREF="http://www.summitpost.org/cgi-bin/trip_report.pl?trip_report_id=1750&mountain_id=11">trip report</A> from Corax that describes it.

I assume you'll have your sleeping bag and tent with you. You could camp at Plaza Francia, then hop over the ridge the next day to retrieve your gear. Are you hiking out via Confluencia or the Vacas Valley...?

Samuli Mansikka

by Samuli Mansikka » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:34 am

Hey Tom thank You for Your answer! We'll do that! The problem with the pre-arranged mules is that if we can't make the route we try to and need to return to Plaza Argentina before attempting an alternative route. But this really seem like the most convenient way to do it.

Btw, we two met at the North Wall Bar in Zermatt last summer ;-D!

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:09 am

The mule operators all have radio contact. You could have your stuff stored at Plaza Argentina until you reach Plaza de Mulas, and then ask them to radio to Plaza Argentina to send your stuff down.

Samuli Mansikka

by Samuli Mansikka » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:44 am

Thanks to everyone for the answers! They've all been really helpful.

Return to South America