Tragical death on Piz Palü

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:19 am

It's hard to see someone cut down so young, so full of life. I'm not an emotional person, not given to maudlin expressions; but this fellow looked so happy and seemed so nice, that I have to add... RIP. SP will make me religious yet.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:57 am

I had some discussions with you Cyrill but we agreed on other topics.

RIP mate.

Grisons: trois alpinistes emportés par une plaque de neige :(

Koen

by Koen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:19 am

Sorry to hear that Cyrill was in this accident. My condolances to family and friends.

no avatar
Justin Pucci

by Justin Pucci » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:15 am

Rest in peace, Cyrill. My condolences to the family and friends. :cry:

eferesen

by eferesen » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:25 am

Extremely sad. My condolences to his family.

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Cyrill and Tanja were at Piz Palü trip together with Daniel Hohl, a friend of them who accompanied them to many mountain trips.
Here is a further summit pic of Cyrill, Tanja and Daniel:
http://www.bergtour.ch/gipfelbuch/detail/id/36935

RIP!

Nikman

by Nikman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Very sad news I just read today. My condolences go to family and friends. I didn'd climb with Cyrill, but had some contact here on SP and via Email. He invited me to climb together in the Uri or Glarus Alps, but I didn't find the time. From what I can say, he seemed to be a very enthusiastic person. From what I read here and on other forums some others had minor differences with him because of his enthusiastic and sometimes quite frontal way to point things out, but I guess some of that was just misunderstanding of his friendly open minded and positive thinking character.

I remember the first log that I read from Cyrill many years ago at basislager.ch (now bergtour.ch) where he posted one of his typical summitpictures with spread arms and a wide smile. There was an underline with greetings to his mom. Not typical and that's why I rember it even many years after.

:( :( :(

BTW:
Strange to me, that the other climbers that followed on the same day didn't realise an accident must have happened, since from what I understand the team already had left the skis in the depot, when the fall occured.
Someone is in a second team on a normal route following a fresh track coming by a ski depot with 3 pair of skis left, continuing a track that ends in a wrenched off snow slab and no emergency call is made? At least at the summit meeting nobody on the way back those other alpinists should set of an alarm?! Can 10 climbers following them that day be so ignoring?

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Very sad to hear about this tragedy. I knew Cyrill and Tanja a little bit. I had much contact to him here on SP and was hiking with him and his friendly wife onetime in Tessin last year.

They were a very friendly and sunshiny couple.

I wish the families much strength. My condolences!

:( :( :(

hiltrud.liu

by hiltrud.liu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:58 am

I am very sad that we lost a member of our community. I like the nice pictures, which Cyrill sent to Rahel's mountain page Ober Gabelhorn.
My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Hiltrud

Previous

Return to Europe