Hut discounts in Austria using a "hut stamp".

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
eza

by eza » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Well, I don't really know, but I spent some nights in austrian huts a couple of years ago. We were all members of the FEDME (spanish federation for mountain sports and climbing, associated to the UIAA) and discounts were strictly personal. I mean: one membership, one discount. I guess your situation would be kind of similar, as far as the American Alpine Club is also associated to the UIAA. Maybe ask them?
One other piece of information, you might like to know that some austrian huts are managed by sections of the Austrian Alpine Club (ÖAV) while others are managed by the German Alpine Club (DAV). I don't think it makes any difference, but just in case...

Mathias Zehring

by Mathias Zehring » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:52 pm

$ 75 is very expensive. This is more than the normal member fee for one year in the german alpine club.
My home section of the german alpine club (Sektion Schwaben) offers a reduced fee if you join not before September for 27 EUR.
Perhaps it is worth having a look <a href="http://www.alpenverein-schwaben.de/167.html">here</A> (sorry, only german)

Charles

Re: Hut discounts in Austria using a "hut stamp".

by Charles » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:32 pm

sierra.trekker wrote:Does anyone know if a couple can get discounts at the Austrian mountain huts based on a single hut stamp or will we need two stamps?

My wife and I are walking hut to hut in Austria this September. We have a joint membership in the American Alpine Club which allows us to buy a hut stamp for discounts in the Austrian huts. At $75. per stamp, it would be nice to get by with only one.

I would have thought that if you show your membership cards you´d get the club discount rate that I get for being a member of the German Alpine Club.
Cheers

eza

Re: Hut discounts in Austria using a "hut stamp".

by eza » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 pm

charles wrote:
sierra.trekker wrote:Does anyone know if a couple can get discounts at the Austrian mountain huts based on a single hut stamp or will we need two stamps?

My wife and I are walking hut to hut in Austria this September. We have a joint membership in the American Alpine Club which allows us to buy a hut stamp for discounts in the Austrian huts. At $75. per stamp, it would be nice to get by with only one.

I would have thought that if you show your membership cards you´d get the club discount rate that I get for being a member of the German Alpine Club.
Cheers

Yes, that's what I was thinking of... It was like that for us, a couple of years ago... :)

Return to Europe