Greece-> Mt.Olympus-> Stefani-> Route Comici-Escher

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Hase

Greece-> Mt.Olympus-> Stefani-> Route Comici-Escher

by Hase » Fri May 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi folks,

some years ago (January 2005) I received invaluable information and hints about hiking Mount Olympus in Greece in this very forum. Thanks GoingUp! Since then I have been there several times and enjoyed this great landscape.
Time has changed and so have the interests and abilities of my buddies and me: we want to do some climbing at Stefani in September!
The route Comici-Escher caught our eye as it seems one of the easiest routes. Up to now our only source is http://www.routes.gr/?Lang=en&Page=Clim ... ciEscher_a
Now we need some further advice. Does someone know this route from personal experience?

In detail:
1) Does someone know this route from personal experience and can comment on it?

2) Is the information in the link above credible concerning difficulty, protection and rock quality?

3) Is a withdrawal by abseiling possibly? (Not very likely, but it doesn´t hurt to know... ) If possible at all, abseiling may be more convenient than the gully...

4) Can anyone recommend other routes at Mitikas or Stefani which are in the IV-V+ range?

5) Can Stefani be summited (with reasonable difficulty) via it´s NE edge (the one nearest to refuge Giossos Apostolidis) in order to make a traverse to southwest?

6) Does anyone know more sources of information about climbing Mt. Olympus in the web or especially (guide-)books in English?

Thanks in advance!

Greets
Hase

Nikolas_A

Re: Greece-> Mt.Olympus-> Stefani-> Route Comici-Es

by Nikolas_A » Sat May 02, 2009 10:18 pm

You're welcome!
Hase wrote:1) Does someone know this route from personal experience and can comment on it?

No, but by September I probably will :wink:
Hase wrote:2) Is the information in the link above credible concerning difficulty, protection and rock quality?

Agrees with all the info I have, I'll see and let you know...
Hase wrote:3) Is a withdrawal by abseiling possibly? (Not very likely, but it doesn´t hurt to know... ) If possible at all, abseiling may be more convenient than the gully...
Possible but not advisable
Hase wrote:4) Can anyone recommend other routes at Mitikas or Stefani which are in the IV-V+ range?
Mati (V+) and Achladi (IV+) are among the classics
Hase wrote:5) Can Stefani be summited (with reasonable difficulty) via it´s NE edge (the one nearest to refuge Giossos Apostolidis) in order to make a traverse to southwest?
I don't know about the edge itself, but Mati is very close to it. From the top easy (II-III) climbing can get you to the summit. From there the descend to the top of the Comici route and the gully includes a quite exposed move...
Hase wrote:6) Does anyone know more sources of information about climbing Mt. Olympus in the web or especially (guide-)books in English?

No books that I know of, I have some magazine clippings, in Greek though. Also try to contact Teo Christopoulos and Mike Styllas, they run Refuge C. They might be hard to get in touch, though, they spend most of their time up there without internet :?

no avatar
Hase

by Hase » Wed May 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Thank you so much!

Please keep me (this forum) informed if you get even more information about climbing Stefani.

Good luck with your climbing projects!
Hase

no avatar
Hase

by Hase » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Nikolas!

Any news? Did you try the tour?
Two more weeks for me...

Hase

Nikolas_A

by Nikolas_A » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Lol, Hase, I think we'll climb together! I'm leaving for Olympus Friday afternoon. If you're gonna be there this w/e let me know.

no avatar
Hase

by Hase » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Nikolas, you have a PM.

Hase

Return to Europe