Mount Kenya - Ice Window Route - Global Warming

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
scotjack

Mount Kenya - Ice Window Route - Global Warming

by scotjack » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:31 am

I have just recently scanned some pretty good quality 35mm slides I took while climbing the classic Ice Window Route on Mount Kenya in 1977. (Coincidentally, at exactly the same time that Pete Boardman was climbing the Diamond Couloir.)
What is really interesting is comparing the ice coverage then and now -- the difference is dramatic!
I would like to share these images with other members, but I haven't yet found how to upload these images to this site.
Can anyone afford the time to advise me? Thanks.

divnamite

by divnamite » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:36 am

O, man. That would be awesome. here is the bulk loader.

http://www.summitpost.org/article/48835 ... oader.html

no avatar
scotjack

by scotjack » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:07 am

Thank you "divnamite" for the speedy reply!
I have downloaded the bulk loader and will now sort out the wheat from the chaff and upload the best ones.
Check this space tomorrow, or the day after.
Cheers, Jack

Diggler

by Diggler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:57 pm

The glacier at Mt. Kenya's base (can't recall the name right now), being almost directly on the equator, has been/is one of the best indicators of global warming. Its receding has been monitored for some time now. A sign of the times... Photos of the ice on the mountain itself would be great- thanks! Jim Donini & a partner or 2 did the Diamond Couloir a few years back (2005?) & found that the lower part was mostly rock, so now its a sick mixed climb instead of a pure ice climb...

no avatar
scotjack

by scotjack » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:45 am

That would be the Lewis Glacier. Since you mentioned it, I will also include some shots of the Lewis from the top of Nelion taken in the late seventies, early eighties. It was a real glacier then and reached almost all the way up Point Lenana.
I was back there with my son two years ago and I almost cried when I saw how much it had shrunk. It is now a very thin ice sheet a long way down in the narrow valley between Austrian Hut and Nelion. The few crevasses that one had to look out for when crossing it, have completely disappeared. As for the Diamond Glacier -- that has fragmented so much that Mackinder's original route no longer exists.
We are going back again (plus my wife) over Christmas this year to climb Mount Kenya one last time, and also Kili. I will try to take as many shots as I can from the same positions as the ones I hope to post in the next couple of days for a good comparison. Anyone want to join us?

no avatar
scotjack

Melting Lewis Glacier

by scotjack » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Diggler wrote:The glacier at Mt. Kenya's base (can't recall the name right now), being almost directly on the equator, has been/is one of the best indicators of global warming. Its receding has been monitored for some time now. A sign of the times... Photos of the ice on the mountain itself would be great- thanks! Jim Donini & a partner or 2 did the Diamond Couloir a few years back (2005?) & found that the lower part was mostly rock, so now its a sick mixed climb instead of a pure ice climb...

I have posted a couple of photographs of the shrinking Lewis Glacier taken 30 years apart. The viewpoints are 180 degrees from each other, but the ice loss is still easily appreciated.

96avs01

Re: Melting Lewis Glacier

by 96avs01 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:15 pm

scotjack wrote:
Diggler wrote:The glacier at Mt. Kenya's base (can't recall the name right now), being almost directly on the equator, has been/is one of the best indicators of global warming. Its receding has been monitored for some time now. A sign of the times... Photos of the ice on the mountain itself would be great- thanks! Jim Donini & a partner or 2 did the Diamond Couloir a few years back (2005?) & found that the lower part was mostly rock, so now its a sick mixed climb instead of a pure ice climb...

I have posted a couple of photographs of the shrinking Lewis Glacier taken 30 years apart. The viewpoints are 180 degrees from each other, but the ice loss is still easily appreciated.

Did someone say ice loss...note this video is 20 min long, but very cool/scary:

James Balog glacier time lapse images

fortybelow

by fortybelow » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:07 pm

96avs01 very intresting video! I read some of the comments and someone suggested that in the next 50 years there will be a cooling period and the glaciers will start to advance dramatically instead of shrinking? I wonder if there is some truth to that. I personllly love the cold so I have nothing against that :lol:

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:20 pm

fortybelow wrote:96avs01 very intresting video! I read some of the comments and someone suggested that in the next 50 years there will be a cooling period and the glaciers will start to advance dramatically instead of shrinking? I wonder if there is some truth to that. I personllly love the cold so I have nothing against that :lol:

heard of a predicted 10 year cold spell from either 2020-30 or 2030-40 that will mask current warming/emissions, but I highly doubt that we will see (in our lifetime) substantial glacier growth on a global scale. though i hope for the alternative

no avatar
scotjack

Superb video

by scotjack » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 am

Superb video 96avs01, but also very worrisome and somewhat depressing. It makes me feel so helpless that there is probably nothing we can do to avert this phenomenon and its consequences.
At least a "deer in the headlights" can try to get away.

fatdad

by fatdad » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:15 pm

96avs01 wrote:
fortybelow wrote:96avs01 very intresting video! I read some of the comments and someone suggested that in the next 50 years there will be a cooling period and the glaciers will start to advance dramatically instead of shrinking? I wonder if there is some truth to that. I personllly love the cold so I have nothing against that :lol:

heard of a predicted 10 year cold spell from either 2020-30 or 2030-40 that will mask current warming/emissions, but I highly doubt that we will see (in our lifetime) substantial glacier growth on a global scale. though i hope for the alternative

That prediction didn't originate from Republicans arguing against global warming proposals, did it?

Return to General