Big Tujunga Update

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
SpiderSavage

Big Tujunga Update

by SpiderSavage » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:22 am

Big Tujunga canyon is still closed to non-officials and so is Dukmajian park in Glendale. However, Haines Canyon access in Tujunga is back to normal.

This morning I bagged the west-ridge peak of Lukins via the direct south ridge on the old fire break. All the ridges leading to this high point are clear of brush for fun and easy (strenuous) class 2 ascents. I was not the first up this line, one or two have done it since the fire. I found the remains of 2 deer and tracks of a bear that traversed the summit ridge just before the fire. Plenty of deer and coyote tracks after the fire and one mountain lion track on a remote ridge in Haines Canyon. The canyon up there is about 85% burned. There are pockets untouched and some of the old oaks, in places, look like they may survive.

From the summit I could see with binoculars into upper Trail Canyon. The forest along the creek up there is burned complete, no leaves. Condor Peak chaparral is nothing but ash. Not even stumps. Fox peak has stumps and sticks. Some pockets of brush were untouched here and there. Perhaps due to water drops. McKinley and Iron Mountain -burned complete. On Saturday 8/29 Condor Peak was completely consumed in a few hours and it looks like it.

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Well that's crumby news to start off a Monday. I've been wondering though. Thanks. I keep looking out that way from work annd it's impossible to tell what is really burned.

Return to California