Capital & Elk Range snowfall

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Eric Holle

Capital & Elk Range snowfall

by Eric Holle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Can anybody in the Aspen area provide information on how much snowfall there has been above 13,000 in the Elk Range? I was hoping to climb Captial this weekend, but with new snowfall, it might be a bit dicy.

Thanks!

McCannster

by McCannster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm hoping to do Maroon Bells traverse+Pyramid (yes I like to suffer) next weekend. Hopefully whatever snow fell up there will be mostly gone by then.

BLong

by BLong » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 pm

We are planning on heading up to Treasure Mountain tomorrow, so I will be able to give a better report then. As for right now, there is definitely some snow, but we didn't get hammered nearly as bad as the front range. I biked up to 10,000 feet yesterday and the only snow I could see (other than the flurries that were blowing into my face) were up on the high peaks. Even up there, it really just looked like a dusting.

byates

by byates » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:25 am

I was on East Beckwith in the West Elks today, snow looks thick on the southwest side of the Bells. Aspens need a week before peak color.

Return to Colorado