North CA climbing in Nov?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
kheegster

North CA climbing in Nov?

by kheegster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:53 am

I'm probably going on a work trip to Berkeley some time in mid-November, and I'd like to get some climbing in, preferably some easy multi-pitch trad since I'll probably climb with some n00b friends.

Will the Valley still be cold enough to climb in, or should I go down to Josh Tree instead?

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Yosemite Valley might well still be ok -- it just depends on the weather.

Another option is Tollhouse Rock, near Fresno. From my house it's about the same amount of driving time. Tom Slater's California Road Trip guidebook should have topos, and there's also a nice page on SP.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I've had some super November climbing days in Yos. Valley, but like Rob says, it is weather dependent. Be flexible with other options lined up and see what the weather gods bring your way :D

Diggler

by Diggler » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:50 pm

If the weather cooperates in the Bay, you could always head to the Berkeley hills for some fun bouldering/TRing. Remillard Park, Indian Rock, & Cragmont are fun places to do short climbs. Killer views of the Golden Gate from Indian Rock.

Yosemite COULD work out if the weather holds (I've had some CLASSICS all to ourselves during November in The Valley). It could also not (people have died in storms)- you'll have to just wait & see for yourself when you're here.

Pie Shop, Phantom Spires, & Sugarloaf, all off of the 50 on the way to Tahoe, might be 'in' during that time too.

If none of these work out & you have enough time (figure on a 10-hr or so drive), Josh might be a great place to check out too (it might still be chilly, though- bring warm clothes in case).

Have fun!

Return to California