New Viesturs book?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:06 pm

xDoogiex wrote:I loved no shortcuts to the top but he discussed his whole 92 K2 experience in it. Why make a book about it?

The new book is about a half-dozen years on the mountain, only one of which was his year.

So he has an opportunity to second-guess everybody else.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:17 am

Arthur Digbee wrote:

He'd make a perfect fit here with the SP community.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:04 pm

jspeigl wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:

I don't think you should have posted that. :wink:

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:45 am

I'm going to have the opportunity to meet Viesturs this Friday. He is attending a showing of the most recent MountainFilm film here in Chicago along with Jim Whittaker.

More info...

welle

by welle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:45 pm

FortMental wrote:OMFG. Steve House in SOHO? There's a Patagonia Store on Broome street? This is worse than a wine bar at football stadium.

haha, yeah, it's pretty weird, would've much preferred going to his slideshow in the Gunks this weekend, but it's convenient. Patagonia store in SoHo totally lives up to its "Patagucci" moniker - it's right across the street from Barney's Co-Op and not far from Prada and the likes.

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 pm

welle wrote:
FortMental wrote:OMFG. Steve House in SOHO? There's a Patagonia Store on Broome street? This is worse than a wine bar at football stadium.

haha, yeah, it's pretty weird, would've much preferred going to his slideshow in the Gunks this weekend, but it's convenient. Patagonia store in SoHo totally lives up to its "Patagucci" moniker - it's right across the street from Barney's Co-Op and not far from Prada and the likes.

Turns out I can't make it to NYC tomorrow night ( :cry: ), but will try to catch his slideshow this weekend in New Paltz.

Welle, if you guys do a SP get-together before the event, I'll be there in spirit!

RickF

by RickF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 am

MarthaP wrote:
The above information has nothing to do with Viestur's book :D

Martha, with all due respect, I realize that this thread has drifted to a much broader range of topics relative to K2 and speaking engagements featuring Steve House but I don't think is true that all of the information has nothing to do Viestur's book, after all, the title of the thread is . "New Viesturs Book"

RickF

by RickF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:32 am

Cookie Addict wrote:
RickF wrote:
I've read several climbing/mountain books, many of which were discussed on SP. In my opinion, "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs was one of the most enjoyable.

I just got the new Lynn Hill book, but after I finish it I'll check out Steve House's book.

What NEW Lynn Hill book? has she written another bio or is it a collection to stories. Just checked and Amazon only has "Climbing Free"

Cookie,

I was referring to "Climbing Free" I don't know when it was released. Maybe its been out for a long time. I bought it but haven't read it yet so its still new to me. :D

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:39 pm

jspeigl wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote: So he has an opportunity to second-guess everybody else.

In fairness to Viesturs, I wrote that after reading the chapter on the 1939 expedition, which was a big failure. He second-guesses a lot. Also, the narrative is pretty scattered.

I just finished the chapter on the 1953 expedition and Pete Schoening's "miracle belay." Viesturs knows a couple of the people, and the narrative is a lot more satisfying. He also praises everyone involved, which reads better and doesn't have the negativity of second-guessing.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:14 am

RickF wrote:
MarthaP wrote:
The above information has nothing to do with Viestur's book :D

Martha, with all due respect, I realize that this thread has drifted to a much broader range of topics relative to K2 and speaking engagements featuring Steve House but I don't think is true that all of the information has nothing to do Viestur's book, after all, the title of the thread is . "New Viesturs Book"

Well, Rick, if you take my statement out of context and foreshorten it, that's what it's going to look like.

I am pretty sure you've figured out the gyst of this thread so it's all a moot point anyway.

Bonne chance!

IagosGhost

Re: New Viesturs book?

by IagosGhost » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:31 am

Alpinisto wrote:

Every time I see a picture of that traverse my heart starts racing. There aren't any fixed ropes there, are there? Crazy stuff. 8)

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:47 am

I'm pretty sure you're right. I think that's Abruzzi Ridge right below the shoulder. Correct me if I'm wrong...but it's awe-inspiring to say the least!

Flatlander2climb

by Flatlander2climb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:46 am

mstender wrote:
Peak Freak wrote:
2_climbaxes wrote:After suffering through his last book, there is no way I'd spend a penny on another of his books. He is a tremendous climber, there is no question about that. But "No Shortcuts..." seemed like it was written by an 8th grader and left me very disappointed. I was expecting something much better from such an incredible climber.

Hmmmmmm.... although I read it ages ago, I do remember enjoying it. I'm still keen to read the next one.

I did like it too actually. Maybe not the greatest mountaineering book ever, but I certainly enjoyed reading it. Maybe I'll pick it up again though.

Agreed, I wouldn't say it was like reading literary masterwork but I felt like I was setting at coffee (or beer ha) with Ed in Seattle listening to his stories. I enjoyed it. Been waiting for K2 to come out since I heard about it back in spring. Might have to go check the local bookshop right now actually.

nickmech

by nickmech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:17 am

I'll get Viesturs book from the library. But I've got a quarter to throw in to take off the annoying ad!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:15 am

Image"Oh my, there's Steve House and Ed Viestures.....Oh My God! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!"

For some, seems these fine gents missed your expectations & preconceived notions.

Come on folks... there just frikn climbers that got their shit together and are 150% focus'd on their agenda/goals.

They are mortals BTW...Not Gods.

PreviousNext

Return to General