Headlamp

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Eman2005

Headlamp

by Eman2005 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:03 pm

I am looking at headlamps for hiking/climbing. They need to be good for both in camp activities and for night hikes/climbs. I currently have a tikka plus, which is good for in camp use, but I find it lacking for nightime when you need to see a good distance if front of you. I have on my list these headlamps:

Princeton Tec Apex
Mammut Luicido
Mammut X-zoom
Petzl Myo

out of these which is the best that you would reccommend. I mainly want it for nightime hikes/climbs. Anyother model or make you would reccommend. I want to spend about $100 for it. Thank you.

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:17 pm

This cheaper model of the Princton Tec (Fuel) is very good. I've been using one and I am impressed with how bright it is and how long it works. No experience with those on you list.

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/60

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:34 am

Mammut Lucido TX1 is the best headlamp I have owned personally, always recommend it to friends:

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:30 am

I have the Apex, myo, plus, tikka, and a few others.

I used to work at Eastern Mountain Sports so I was always upgrading gear.

The PT lights are nice and durable and very waterproof... but they eat up batteries.

I really like my Myo, its durable, water proof, bright, great battery life. The filter on it is very handy in where you can spread out the light or you can direct it. I like that a lot because when around camp or you want to see a general area put the filter up, its also not as ruff on others eyes.

When not using the filter the beam is directed and bright.

I would definately go for the myo.. I have sold TONS of them, and everyone has loved them!

Very reliable.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:58 am

Do the headlamps that have the batteries in a case and you can carry in your pocket also attach to the back of your head strap? I want one that you can attach and de-attach depending on temperatures.

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:31 am

it depends on the headlight. I have seen a myo xp model that has a batttery pack on a cord to go to the belt. Just read the specs on the lights.. there are many out there and they are a very personal thing to buy. You need to find a light that fits your needs and there is always a light that will work for everyone.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:04 am

Lucido offers either a strap attached battery pouch or a separate pouch you carry in your pocket, but not an option for either configuration depending on temp.

MtnGuide

Black Diamond Icon

by MtnGuide » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 am

Bold design, with both 3 watt Xenon spot beam for lonnng-distance reach, and 2 double-LEDs with 3 power settings, including flashing mode for battery-saving. Battery pack on back of head makes it heavy, but it's bomb-proof, long-lived, and reliable.

I got it on recommendation of a friend who took on Aconcagua in the Andes, and now have 2 of them. I even use the main one for running at dusk in case night overtakes me in the hills, and use the flashing-mode to get used to its battery-saving. Just blink when it goes dark.

Be careful where you shine it in spot mode on high beam, else the driver will get blinded and hit you anyway.

I keep a second in the car in emergency pack in case there has to be a night hike out.

I also have an old Petzl with head battery pack to power normal bulb and 1 LED, with twist on-off. But the light output is very lame for 3 batteries, especially dangerous for night running on trails in mountains.

Also have a monster Petzl with belt mounted battery pack with C or D batteries, and clip for pants, and cord up back to headstrap. It was originally marketed as a caving lamp, but I got it for Arctic dogsledding, snowmachining, boating, and climbing. I've worn it inside down parka to keep batteries warm to 40 below. Been out in 72 below zero, so would need to have that batt pack in inside front parka pocket.

Of all these, the Black Diamond Icon is the most technologically advanced, likely to keep batteries alive with metered and variable power, and green, yellow and red indicator lamps to keep you informed of monitored battery life.

timfoltz

by timfoltz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:30 pm

I have the Petzl Myo and my roomate has the mammut lucido.

My roommate's mammut is certainly brighter then my myo and i really like the ability for the battery pack to blink on the back, its very nice for biking in the dark. However, my roommate has said he doesnt like how square the beam is, he says it doesnt do the greatest job of illuminating to the side. He mentioned that if he was buying again he would probably go with the petzl myo also.

I have had two myos over about three years. (Lost the first and replaced with the same.) I have loved it and have never had any problems with it. Battery life is great, and the led battery indicator is a nice feature. I personally like having a middle strap over the top of my head so that narrowed my search quickly. The light filter on the front is great, i use it 95% of the time and unlike my roommate's it does a good job of illuminating to the side when looking forward. Although my roommates is brighter, i have never had a problem with the brightness. I keep mine on the lowest brightness setting 90% of the time and it is bright enough for any nighttime hikes etc. The only time i switch to the brightest level is when using it to ride my bike at night.

Hope this helps.

Snowy

Headlamp

by Snowy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 pm

I've used both Mammut's you mentioned and had a Myo XP for about 2 years. My favorite lamp hands down is the Mammut X-Zoom. It is very simple to use and performance is impressive. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I do like that the "light diffuser" on the Myo's protect the lense when not in use. The Myo's are nice, but not in the same league as the X-Zoom.
As for a detachable battery pack...I personally just use lithium batteries. Cold weather performance issue solved (in most situations), and you don't have an extra cord dangling around.

Eman2005

by Eman2005 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:38 am

Okay I have begun sorting through my list and narrowed it down to the Mammut X-zoom and the Mammut Lucido TX1. I have also added to the list the Primus Primelite Race.

RedRoxx44

by RedRoxx44 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Just to stir the pot I have several Petzel and Black Diamond headlamps. So far the two best ones is an Egear K2-about 50.00 may be found cheaper. Around 90 lumens and has a nice spot light you can widen with the lense. Also has a red, green and blue LED so you don't blast everyone.
I got a 89 lumen light from Walmart for 15.00 It has a ring of about 20 LED and a center spot and three settings. The flood light on that thing is awesome. Made by Baycd. In the hardware section.
I used both these lights recently on a 10 hour caving trip and both did well, did not drain batteries. I switched to the cheaper light waiting on some folks on a big talus pile and I could see remarkably well down and among the boulders, details that were in the shadows before.
Think I am going back and buy like two more of them as backups.

Return to Gear