Two-a-days

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
CClaude

by CClaude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:14 pm

outofstep80 wrote:Well, I found that article. Not sure if anyone is interested or not. It's a little off topic but whatever. Don't know the extent of it's truth but there are people here who know more about it that me. Anyways. Here it is.

http://www.shapeyou.com/old/weights_first.html

he guy is talking about training for vanity reasons, not training for athletic reasons.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:21 pm

CClaude wrote:
outofstep80 wrote:Well, I found that article. Not sure if anyone is interested or not. It's a little off topic but whatever. Don't know the extent of it's truth but there are people here who know more about it that me. Anyways. Here it is.

http://www.shapeyou.com/old/weights_first.html

he guy is talking about training for vanity reasons, not training for athletic reasons.

Hence the disclamer. I couldn't remember exactly what the acticle was saying when I originaly posted. Once I found it I looked it over and discovered it was a little off topic. But I said I would post it so I did.

People who like to look good may want to be efficient at looking good too. 8)

battledome

by battledome » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Okay... so I'm not interested in adding mass. I'd like to increase my strength/weight ratio. I race 5ks and 10ks pretty regularly.

The big events that I'm planning are a Mt Washington (NH) climb in January, a marathon in March, and the Grand Teton via Exum Direct in July. Smaller trips and climbs in between.

CClaude

by CClaude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:20 pm

if you are running significantly and not overeating you shouldn't be adding mass given the catabolic nature of running (endurance activities)

If you are looking to do some mountains and also 5K, 10K, and marathons, mix up the speed work and throw in a longer runon one of the days.

I used to train with a bunch of extremely talented distance runners (Alex Tilson was an average runner in our training group even though he was something like 10th in the Olympic trials in the marathon (held the US 50K record- when the US record was faster then the world record). Speed and efficiency is undervalued in endurance events.

try twice a week doing steady-state and fartlek runs, and one long run and then everything else are recovery runs. When you weight train, when you do lower body work, coneentrate on the hips. Strong hips it has been shown in recent research (at reputable kinesiology labs) has been shown to protect your knees, making the less prone to injury.

Augie Medina

Re: Two-a-days

by Augie Medina » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 pm

goldenhopper wrote:

I hear "two-a-days" and I think football season is about to start. :wink:

AKA "Hell Week." Remember it well from high school football days. That cured me of wanting to do "two-a-days" voluntarily.

bird

by bird » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:01 pm

battledome wrote:Okay... so I'm not interested in adding mass. I'd like to increase my strength/weight ratio. I race 5ks and 10ks pretty regularly.

The big events that I'm planning are a Mt Washington (NH) climb in January, a marathon in March, and the Grand Teton via Exum Direct in July. Smaller trips and climbs in between.

These climbs don't require much beyond "normal" fitness. Since running is your main gig, I'd say 2 days of compound movement weight routines will add some strength without hurting your running too much. Deadlifts, squats, pullups, pushups, shoulder presses. I would recommend one full day of rest per week. Beware of overtraining...

brandon

by brandon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:23 pm

I've experience with all your goals.

The marathon handsdown demands the greatest fitness component. Mt. Washington in winter is more about comfort level in the cold, and efficient uphill hiking (w/ crampons). The complete exum is a two part challenge of the long uphill hump, and the recovery to climb 2000 feet of steeps the next day, and then hike out. Unless you're after the one day, and even the one day car to car on the exum seems to me slightly less effort than the marathon.

If you can climb during the week, try running in the am, climbing in the pm, and a brief resistance workout afterwards. Unless you're puny, focus on the sport specific training of running, trail running, hiking w/ weight, and climbing. Your running volume for marathon training will give you plenty of aerobic fitness for the other climbs, if you've practiced the specific skills of hiking with weight and climbing.

Alternatively, if climbing during the week is hard to get at, a pretty intense resistance workout of everything but the legs twice a week is good. Note, intensity doesn't imply heavy weights. Same day as easy runs or other days.

Eat good food, sleep enough. You're talking about a high training demand on your body.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training